Tuesday, December 2, 2014
A Very Strange Story By A BH Owner !!!
I accidentally met this BH owner while attending the recently organized EBNIC 2014 at The Marriott Putrajaya.
I was on my way to the toilet when this person stopped me for a short talk.
He invited me to the smoking corner of the building and started his puffing.
He related to me how he got involved with swiftlet farming and right now owned about 5 BHs.
"Pak Harry my main problem is not in getting those birds into my BH but how to get them build those nests. I have this special ability to pull those birds inside but I cannot understand why they are not paying their rent?"
It seems that he have mastered the most interesting method on how to pull those birds in by using some kind of sound frequency adjustments and the moment they listen to any of his sound they will shoot inside like crazy.
I did not asked for more details but he promised to show his technique with a special trade in.
He wanted my expertise to force his tenants to pay their rental i.e. make their nests.
One of his BH now has almost 20,000 birds however the number of nests so far was 1,500 pieces.
Something must be wrong inside his BH.
From my past experiences these are the possible reasons:
1) The internal sound he played, especially at night, are not the right sound. When your internal sound is too attractive these birds will make love with your internal sound making tweeters. If they are not courting with their own species they will not mate and erect their nest.
2) When your BH is too bright. These birds are scared that if they start their family their young babies will be snatched away by predators. For as long as the BH remained too bright these couples will stayed but will not start their nests building.
3) A BH with a lot of predators that consume the birds nests. Just imagine the moment a young couple start to build their nests and during their daytime went out to search for food. The moment they returned home their nests were consumed by these predators. The most damaging will be those cockroaches and Tokek (Big lizards).
4) The BH with too high a temperature. This might be another reason why they are not keen to start building their nests. The nesting room high temperature will make them feel uncomfortable and scared to start their family. Remember in this case the sound he played is very attractive but if there are some reasons to make these birds to feel uncomfortable, they will remain to be a non paying tenant.
5) Another possible reason that came to my mind are the condition of the BHs nesting planks. If he uses a cheap and low quality nesting woods he might be facing fungus contaminated syndrome. The high RH% in his house might have caused all his nesting planks to grow fungus. Beside fungus the next possible problem might be contamination by bird shit smell. This can happened when your workers accidentally splash those BH aroma with bird shit base water onto the nesting planks. Another possible contamination might be due to some application of plank aroma that were not well like by those wild birds.
Well there might be many other reasons that can effect these birds.
My wish is to visit this BH and find out the possible reasons.
If I can identify and correct his BH problem I might learn from him about his special technique on how to pull all those birds into any BH using any sound.
He claimed to have found this special technique that was never told to any one before.
A very interesting person with a very special gift.