"Pak Harry I owned four BHs and the one you are helping me with the revamp operation is one of them" he said/
Among the four there is one with 5 kilograms harvest a month.
However due to some reasons the population seems to be decreasing.
After harvesting he realized that they did not returned to the same spot that they used to built their nests.
"Harry can you take a good look and advice what you think can be done" he pestered me.
The next day when his worker fetched me I told him what transpired with his boss.
He agreed to let me into the 2nd BH and I took about 20 minutes to see what can be the possible reasons.
After 20 minutes I listed a few things that he can do to improve the revival of his nests decreasing BH.
What I think was wrong with this BH are as follows:
1) The BH seems to be quite old and the nesting planks seems to be very dirty and covered with dust and maybe fungus. He need to perhaps clean them with some cleaning agent.
2) One very sure thing was the BH dryness. The number of humidifiers were not adequate. He should perhaps increase the number or maybe install those mist pump system.
3) There was no proper place for those birds to hide. He should consider to perhaps erect a few walls with a small door for them to hide at the back part of the building.
4) The sounds used were too old and classic. He should look into switching to some new sounds.
5) The entrance area was top entry type. There was no hexagonal tweeter to be seen. The number of external sound tweeters around the entry areas were not adequate.
6) The number of external sound tweeters inside the nesting rooms were not good enough.
7) All his internal sound tweeters need to be replaced. High time to get them more attractive.
8) He should consider to spray the BH with Mutiara Aroma to get the attention of those new couples.
9) His BH keeper was not very knowledgeable about how to improve the nests population. I told him that his keeper might be good in looking after roof leaking or replacement of those humidifiers but his knowledge about running a good BH is poor.
He should read this posting and perhaps plan some action to improve his nest population.
If he don't I am sure more and more birds are leaving to other BHs.