Tuesday, October 6, 2015
Besut BH: Another Wrongly Designed Birdhouse !!!
I took some time off from the Tumpat BH start up revamp operation to see what was wrong with this BH in Besut, Trengganu.
The travel time from Tumpat to Besut was roughly about 1 hour.
The owner was an old friend who used to do business together those days.
Initially he was skeptical about my ability to pin point what were wrong with his BH.
To him I was those tubing and casing experts but now becoming a swiftlet expert was unthinkable.
I entered his BH data room and saw some tweeters and told him that those were high end tweeters.
Initially he was amused with my words.
Prior to my visit a consultant did came to tell him about how to operate his BH.
When I start to opened my mouth about his BH he became more and more convinced that I do have the ability to identify what were wrong his BH.
The last straw was when I told him that he was using the wrong song for his internal system.
I convinced him that from what I know he was using my so call "Black Cloud".
I switched my PC and inserted the SD card taken from his internal sound playing amplifier.
Yes the sound was labelled "Black Cloud".
This was like putting the last nail to the coffin.
Wow Pak Harry you are simply great.
From that moment he never doubted my ability any more.
I listed a few important things that were wrong with his BH.
1) The entrance area need more external sound tweeters. For the start I told him to erect or install a hexagonal tweeter on the monkey house rooftop.
2) I instructed him to widen his main entrance hole that he feels was the most attractive to those wild birds. He opened two entrance hole one facing the east and one facing the opposite. His choice was the east.
3) Once widen I instructed him to install a set of the same tweeters AG 35 and no others. Currently there were three different types of tweeters.
4) Before fixing those tweeters as per my sketches he need to put in wood planks on the window perimeter.
5) He also need to open a wall that divided the monkey house into two right at this moment. Main reason is to allow those birds additional space to fly around inside the monkey house.
6) One of the two connecting windows between the monkey house and the roving areas need to be shut. The chosen window should be enlarged to become a door.
7) The next thing I wanted him to do was to erect a wall to block the bright right entering the door (6).
8) His BH also need a few more walls that can create VIP room.
9) The BH floors were too dry and I recommended the best solution.
10) His BH nesting planks were not properly installed. The gap between each planks were about 2.5 feet which I told him was too wide.
11) There was no cross woods and I recommended to dismantle those woods from the ground floor and move up. Each zone he can create two rows of crooss woods.
12) I was not very happy with those corner covers. I told him to take them down even though he installed them a few weeks ago.
13) Many of his internal sound tweeters were wrongly positioned. They were not facing the flying in path. Rearrange them.
This BH have a good potential of having at least 200 nests within the next 12 months. Currently he has only 80 nests after 2 plus years of operation.
I need to guide him so that his investment will not go to waste.
He seems to be very keen to gain more knowledge and I think I can help him with it.
Have a good look at these pictures taken.