Search This Blog

Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Advantages Of Buying A BH With 300 Nests !!!


"Harry, if money is not a problem, what is the best method to start my BH project?"

My answer: Buy a matured BH with at least 300 full cup nests.

I received a call from a newbie who have spend about 10 hours reading my blog.

After 10 hours he finally decided to call me directly and perhaps have a cup of teh tarik.

I call him Mr.B.

He is an American citizen but was born in Gopeng Perak.

After a few minutes talking about how to recognise those swiftlet, I asked him what he actually wanted to do.

His answer was: I wanted to convert one property, a shop house, into a BH. I also wanted to buy two more empty shops in the same row.

Hmm ......

I took a very deep breath and told him about the new Garis Panduan.

So what will be the best option?

Up to you but if I have the money I will go for a BH which is already matured with about 300 nests. All the nests must be more then half cup in size.

What is so special about it? It will be very expensive? Nobody will want to sell?

Well I have my reasons and let me share some of it:

1) When you take over a BH with 300 nests, you now have a valuable asset. The house, if you know how to take care, can be easily populated to the optimum. Remember these 300 nests can produce 600 young birds every 4 months. Within 12 months. 0ne year, there will be at least 1,800 young birds. Just imagine if you can get 20% to stay?

2) Everything in the BH are your assets. This include those bird shits, the eggs, the nests, the babies, the nesting planks laced with those nests markings, those tweeters with nests build on them, those fake nests that were occupied, those corner covers that are full of new markings and so forth. You can make money from them if you know how to.

3) Okay now if you wanted to start a new BH you have a very high privileges. The first is your experiences in running a ready and occupied BH. You also have the asset with you that can be moved into the new BH. These items that are laced with those swiftlet nests can be moved into the new BH and this will be a big plus to attract those young birds to move in.

4) If the 300 nests are white nests, I will look into the possibilities of getting the BH treated or modified so as tho change those white nests into red. I know there is a technology in getting this done and I will surely persue the matter. The advatage in having white to red is the price. I was made to understand that red nests are 3 times more expensive then white. The moment they change colors I already got back my investment. Yes I now will/can sell the whole house 3 times the amount I paid when it was white.

If you are new, have no BH and wanted to built from zero, I would think you will be climbing a steep hill before getting the right number of nests every year. If you are lucky and the property is at the right place you might be successful. Or else it will be a very long wait.

So my personal view, if you have that extra cash, buy a BH with a reasonable nests numbers and maximise the benefits when you start those new BHs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pak Harry,

This is Mr. B, the one who called you last night and you responded immediately. I apologize to your wife and family for taking you away from them, even after a long day in Johor and Melaka. You are indeed a good hearted and swift loving man who truly cares for the industry.

I will heed your advice and negotiate on an existing BH instead of building a new BH so that I can leapfrog in this venture, provided one is available.

In addition, I thank you for your advice on watching the flight path of the birds and also how to distingush between swallows, martins and the Aerodramus Fuciphagus.

It is always good to start right and your blog has been more than helpful for newbies like me.

Thank you and God bless on your unselfish and tireless efforts for the industry.

Mr. B