Search This Blog

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Insect Breeding Barn Ready and Tested !!!


"Harry, we are fixing the pipes to get those fruit flies on the top of the roof into the entrance hole."

That was the message I received today from my birdhouse caretaker in Sungai Patani.

I have been thinking about building an insect barn for quite sometime.

First I got the sketch out and then asked my caretaker what he needed. His answer was simple, give the money to buy those welding machine, a steel cutter, those raw materials to built the frame, the side board panels, the pipes and two exhaust fans.

I got him what he wanted and he started the construction a couple of weeks ago.

When the unit was up I told him to cover all those gaps that might push those small flies out.

He did that and in the meantime he started to breed those fruit flies using ripe pineapples and some yeast.

The moment the barn was ready, the trays holding the pineapples were carefully stacked inside the allocated holders.

He shut the doors and started the exhaust fans. For test run he did not connect the exist hole on the top part of the barn to the roof. The moment the fans operated, all those flies were blown out.

Hmm ..... not bad they works well.

Today after the test the pipes to push those fruit flies to the top of the BH was fixed. I wish I was there to observe the installation.

If this insect breeding system works, there might bring more birds above my BH. The barn is located in the Data room on the ground floor below the entrance hole on the 1st floor.

To those who have never thought about this unique ideas, you might want to contact me at 017 755 1318.

My "Sifu" never taught me on this idea but I did on my own to test the fact that there is nothing wrong to go for new technologies.

No comments: