Search This Blog

Saturday, February 28, 2009

First It Was George, then Chow then Bernard & Lawrence & Dato Chang !!!

"Hei Harry this is Bernard and we, with Mr Lawrence, are on the way up to BM to meet U".

That was what happened yesterday and in the end my trip back to KL was delayed till 9.00pm.

After doing my birdhouse things in Setiawan, myself and George (a newbie) hurried up to BM to be with Dr.K.

We reached very late and have about 20 minutes to view the birds flying back home.

The next day started our day at the site for two hours. Applied those aroma and check the BH for anything unusual.

After two hours proceeded to my SP birdhouse to view the insect barn in operation. There were three trays of pinapple strips and were spewing those fruit flies.

Many managed to escape the Barn and my data room was full of those fruit flies escaped from the barn. They were almost everywhere.

I keep thinking on how to recapture them back into the Barn.

What came to my mind was this simple bottle biology technique found at: www.bottlebiology.org/.../fruit_fly_trap.html. The best, according to this site, is to recycle those mineral water plastic bottles.






Take a dry empty bottle and cut the bottle into two. Take some slices of bananas and put into the base of the cut bottle. You then flip the top part of the bottle upside down so that the original mouth of the bottle is inside upside down. You use masking take to stick them together.

In this way the fruit fly will enter the bottle and trap inside. You can then release them back into the barn.


Hmm.... I need to figure out how to insert the trap bottle effectively.

Set the barn's blower fans from 7.15pm till 7.45pm for the trial.


After this short trip to SP rushed back to BM with George. Upon reaching BM, Mr Chow from Kampar was at Summit Hotel, picked him up for the BH familiarisation.

I was dead sure that I can start my trip to KL at about 5.00pm.

I was wrong. The moment Chow was in the car, Mr Bernard called.

"Harry I understand you are in BM. I and Mr.Lawrence are on the way to BM from Gopeng. Please wait for us we need to meet you urgently. We are now near Juru exit."

Oh my my. It will be a long day I guessed.

Once they arrived and have a short familiarisation visit at Dr.K BH. They insisted that we make a trip to Mengkuang Dam, to conduct a birdcall test on a piece of land there. I told them it was okay but will take off after that.

After about 15 minutes of successful test, they then insisted to give a very special dinner at the Famous Bukit Tambun Seafood Restaurant.



The dinner was accompanied with Dato Chang, the owner of Honey Bread chain of bakeries and kopitiam. A very popular Bakery in Bukit Mertajam for many years. He was Mr Lawrence's father. He claimed to be the "Sponsor" of many well known badminton players of Malaysia.

The dinner was fantastic and we finished at about 8.30pm. After this special occasion we speed back to KL. Lawrence was luring me to stay back for a karaoke and do a birdcall test on a few pieces of suitable lands in Nibol Tebal and BM.

I turned down because I promised to be with my love one for the weekend. I also need to prepare myself for the prearranged Kuala Krai visit on Monday afternoon.

Reached home late 1.30m in the morning. What a back breaking trip.

No comments: