Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Presentation At Kedah Exco Meeting !!!

I was given 10 minutes to talk in front of about 30 people inclusive of all the Kedah Exco with Dato Seri Azizan, the Menteri Besar, as the Chairman.

Something that I was not expecting.

Before that I was given the opportunity to meet YB from Bakar Arang who is in charge of the State's Alam Sekitar.

During my meeting with him he mentioned about the problems that Kedah Excos are facing with Swiftlet Farming Industries.

All complains were directed to him.

Initially he wanted to close all these BHs but after listening to BH owners it seem that the industry is a very important income generator to the country and the town.

This make him realised the important of working together with the BH owners and find a win win solution.

I was interviewed by him and we exchange lots of important ideas and I feel good to have met some one who have the right vision in looking at both angles.

During the Exco meeting there were many important figures that I was given the opportunity to meet. The Mentri Besar was the first in my list. Dato Beh, the owner of at least 100 BHs in Peninsular Malaysia, was sitting at the back on me. I was introduced to him by Dr Reduan of Putrajaya.

Hj Aziz of GEM was also there with David Lim of Sungai Patani. They were not officially invited but make their way in via the back door I guessed.

I was not very pleased to be given a note to cut short my talk from 20 minutes to 10 minutes.

What can I talk for 10 minutes.

What I did was to rush on each topic.

The message that I put forward was that there is no proven technique to move BHs from one location to another. The best is to introduce a kind of stringent health check on every new BH in town and make sure they complied to the PBT requirements.

Those that are located at the protected zone should be removed. Every removal exercises must be with care not to harm those protected species and perhaps give compensations or options for the affected BH owners.

The state have to be careful not to cause any negative views from the public and those who own BHs.

Hj Noran, the head of Kedah PBT came to congratulate me for the short talk and he said that what I have done is good for the state. At least now you have put "The ball in their Court."

I am delighted with what I have done and I hope the result will be known soon on the next steps to be taken by the Kedah State.

I need to drive up to Melaka now so need to stop writing until tomorrow.

No comments: