Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Crucial : Flight Path Into Your BH !!!



A very crucial aspect of any BH is how those birds, from the outside, needs to fly into the roosting areas inside the BH. How many obstacles they need to pass before reaching their prefer ed nesting areas.

I have seen many types of BH designs and a lot of my time I focus on how the owner designed the entrance hole areas. To me this is one of the most important part of any BH.

You will be surprised that every BH entrance areas are not the same. Each person who DIY have their own design criteria. Different consultants have different ways of coming with the entrance hole.

Some are too small while others are too big.

Some with so many corners and curves while others are straight in.

Some block those lights with petitioning here and there but some never bothered to do any light blocking and so on.

The issue here is that which design gives a smooth path for the birds to enter the house with ease and do not need to maneuver to the left and then the right and again downward and upward.

A few BH I saw was with this design where the birds need to make a U turn (360*) in order to find their nesting areas. Do you think this is the right design?

I wonder why there is no standard design that are proven and well liked by those wild birds.

The Muar BH, with more then 400 nests, which I recently visited seem to be the simplest and I think the birds have the least difficulties in entering.

The top entering design allow the birds to snoop in and quickly enter the house via a door about 4 feet width by 10 feet high.

Upon entering the door the birds enter a roving area about 18 feet by 20 feet (shop length).

While in the roving area the birds can either fly to the bottom floor via the staircase or into nesting room number one or number two on the upper floor.

The owner construct a small petitioning to block those sunlight from entering both rooms.

What surprised me was that the birds, a few, have no problems in building their nests even in the roving room which was quite bright.

I hope that I will continue to make close observation on all BHs that I visited.

Most successful BH have a very simple entrance design with very little obstacles while flying to their roosting areas.

If you wish to have a sketch of the Muar BH entrance design please call me at 017 755 1318. Remember the house currently housed not less then 400 nest and growing rapidly.

I visited the BH a few months back and advised the owner what need to be done to increase the nests population every cycle.

He took my advised and within two weeks he installed all the needful and is enjoying a good growth.

No comments: