Search This Blog

Saturday, June 20, 2009

My Trip To Muar, Mersing Johore and Endau Pahang

I was invited by two of my blog readers to visit their BHs. One in Muar and the other in Mersing.

While driving towards Muar I remembered to call a new blog reader who owned a BH in Endau. Since I will be in Mersing I should try to make full use of my time.

Got hold of him and as usual he was more excited then me to let me have a look at his BH.

The day before I started my journey received a call from Mr.S who is building a BH in Sungai Rambai, Melaka.

"Pak, I am short of external sound tweeters, about 18. Can U help?"

Mr. S since I will be passing your house tomorrow I will drop by and hand delivered the tweeters. Is that okay with you?

"Oh yes pak Harry that is marvellous. Will see U at my House. Thank you and thank you"

Well managed to solve one problem.

Also on the same day, I received another call from a BH owner in Muar but currently reside in KL.

"Pah Harry my BH seem to be flooding. I can see the water flowing via the CCTV cameras. Can U advise what to do?"

Well get someone to shut the water immediately.

"The trouble Pak Harry there is no one in Muar. All of them are in KL right now until Monday."

Oh shit. Okay I will be in Muar tomorrow. Why don't U let me have the keys and let me stop by to shut the water and perhaps resolve the leaking?

"Oh yes that's good. I will let U have the keys first thing tomorrow morning."

I took the keys and manage to solve the leaking problem while in Muar. Got myself into a mess when the door have another lock that I cannot locate. Immediately when I pull the door to open the alarm system went off. Oh shit this is not a good thing to happened. All those neighbors were looking at me unsure if I am the owner's friend or a burglar. Luckily managed to phone the owner and told him about the tight door.

"There is another lock inside that you can open with your bare hands. Just try to find that and pull upward."

Okay managed to do as per advised and stop the alarm immediately.

Went upstairs to check why those water water were oozing from. Yes the water hose was disconnected from the humidifier inlet pipes.

Got it fixed and off I go. Second problem solved.

"Pak Harry did you observed those new corners that you recommended to install?

Many of them are now with markings. Yes in just less then three weeks they are making new nests. I would like to thank you for your generous ideas. U are really great and thanks for the tips."

Well I did saw some of the new markings and I am happy for you. Please remember I am nothing more then a blogger who love to share knowledge.

I wish you will cherish all the things that I have taught you. Remember there are thousands more newbies and BH owners who need our helps.

If you learned something, tried and it works, can please spread the ideas to those who wanted to improve their nest population.

My sincere wish to you is that every time you carry out the harvesting, try to allocate about 3-5% of the total to any charitable organisations. Just do that like your token of appreciation on what Harry have done for you?

That was what I told him and I'm glad to have make someone happy.

The next was Mr. M in Muar.

"Pak Harry, I took over this BH from my father, about a year ago and the BH has been with very little success. Can U have a good look and recommend the best solution?"

Hmmm........ The house is not strategically located. Not very closed to any successful BH and I am not sure if I can see the birds flying path.

Went to the back of the BH and asked him where are the successful units around the house.

The moment I entered the BH, I was very disturbed on the flying path from the outside into the roving towards the nesting rooms.

They are a bit awkward. If you are the bird flying in, don't you think you hate to come home? (I asked him)

I told him to perhaps consider realigning the flight path and make the roving areas slightly bigger.

Currently the roving room is less the 10'X10' in size. I recommended to open to at least 15 'X 15'. In doing so he need to sacrifice the two nesting rooms with some nests.

"Pak Harry, I was thinking of doing it as my last resort but since you said that I would like to thank you for your sincere recommendations.

Okay there are many more things that I would like to recommend but the best is to let he draw up the report and email to you soonest.

You need to re look at the nesting planks, the internal sound, the use of black cloud, the aromas and etc.

Hey .... you seem to have adopted my idea about installing tweeters at the back of the rooms playing the external sound?

"Yes Pak Harry, immediately after I inserted two tweeters I got three new nests. Before that there were nothing. You idea works and I am happy to say that I learn so much from you and other bloggers."

Well we have a good assam fish lunch and I promised to submit a full report soonest.

I then started my long journey to Mersing, Johor.

Wow .... it was so far with winding roads and crossing some virgin jungles. Might see some wild elephants !!!

Upon reaching Mersing, Mr L and his partner were there waiting below their BH.

Since the time was getting late I told him let me quickly survey his BH and do the needful.

Wow.... There were about 50 birds in the house.

He learned something new. When carrying the neon light he accidental switch it off temporarily. The birds will automatically switch to using the echolocation sound. The sound was amazing.

Do it again I told him. He did more then three times. Swithed on and then off.

"Oh yeh pak Harry you are right. Those birds switch from no noise to those echo location noises. Very interesting and I am very impressed with this new findings."

Okay let have a good look and see what can be done to improve the situation.

I was asked to climb to the roof top.

Wa leow, so many birds hovering above and the neighbors birds were there too.

I told him let us finish the inspection and let the birds comes in to rest. It was closed to 5.00pm.

The best about this BH was that it is located closed to a successful BH. In fact on the opposite site there were a few more.

Avery morning and evening the number of birds circling above the house is in the thousands.

Mr.L you make a good choice and I am very happy for U. What you need to do now is to work towards a program to maximise the number of new tenants generated from your neighbors.

I shall prepare a full report on what I observed and make all the applicable recommendations for you to consider.

Remember you are beside a swiftlet young generators. Just pull them in and make sure they reject their original home where they were hatched.

I in fact finished my report this morning and sent to him via his email address.

Hope he likes it.

Now waiting for another blog reader who is keen for me to inspect his stand alone BH located in Endau.

Hmmm.... I hope I will not be tired enough to drive back to KL after this........

No comments: