Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

How Many BHs One Should Have ???


I was driving to Rawang, Selangor one day and my new iphone rang.

"Pak Harry, this is Mr.U and I wanted to ask your opinion on the number of BHs one should have. How many do you think one family should own."

Well frankly I am of the opinion as many as you can have. What do you have in mind Mr.U?

"You see I have this good friend who have many successful BHs and he told me that the best is only two. I mean two very successful BHs. You know why? He complained that he got no time to do any other things but harvesting those nests."

"He is now doing the harvesting every week of about 20 kilograms and the nests keep coming back. Now he said that he got his neck ache problem."

Mr.U that is not a problem. You can employ someone to harvest it for him.

"Nope he do not trust anyone even his own relatives. He is dead sure that once they know they will be very jealous and will jeopardise his income."

So what do was his final conclusion on the matter?

"The best he said was two. Yes two good one and sell the rest."

"I understand why he make the conclusion. He must be tired of breaking his neck every time he carry out those harvesting works. Maybe we should invent a machine that can harvest the rest automatically. What say you Pak Harry."

Hmm .... I never come to that level yet. Maybe one day some wise guy will come with a suitable machine. Who knows?

"Pak Harry nice talking to you. You are the only person who can talk intelligently about swiftlet farming and I am sorry for calling you every time I need a professional advise."

You are welcome and have a good day.

Just a few short sentences and he put down his phone. I believed he feel much better after talking to me.

I was still at the side of the road thinking. He is right. If you have so many then how the hell you are going to harvest those nests. The first few years is okay but after that you will fell damp tired of doing the harvesting day in and day out.

Doing harvesting alone is the best choice and most people are afraid to let others knows how many kilograms and when they harvest those precious nests.

But entering your BH and carry out those harvesting alone is something that is not wise. What if you fall down the ladder or those LAL? Who is going to come in to take you to the hospital?

Maybe you need to advise your close relative where you will be and what time you will be coming back home. If you do not reach home on the time given I am sure those at home will know what happen to you.

But again how are they going to enter those BHs? Imagine when you shut the door from the inside?

Hmm..... you really need to think carefully all these things when you carry out those inspection and harvesting properly.

No comments: