One of the four BHs visited during my trip with a BH owner who wanted me to advise on what can be done to improve his BH.
The BH was located on a piece of land used to be a padi field.
The field was left unattended and now covered with grasses.
There were lots of foot prints of those wild buffaloes.
The number of years into operation was about 1.5 and the number of nests grew to about 200.
There were a number of young birds on the floor with their head off.
My first comment was on the floor brightness. It was simply to much light and if he could have minimize those light it will perform much better.
He should have erect a few walls to block those light and a partition to make a VIP room at the far end is something great.
This particular BH was doing well however if I were him I will do some thing to:
1) Make full use of the excess land outside the BH. The total land size was 2.5 acres but he only use about 80'X30'. What he should have done is open some pond just in front of his BH main entrance hole.
2) He might as well plant a few figs trees around the pond.
3) The light from the connecting door between the monkey house and the LAL was was too high. I told him to perhaps shut the area with a floor to the beam partition and open a door somewhere in the middle about 3 feet wide.
4) The BH nesting areas were too opened and not comfortable for those birds to hide. He should perhaps erect the VIP room. He knows about VIP room since he used it successfully in his Kuantan BH.
5) He need to realigned all those internal sound tweeters to face the flight path.
5a) I think he also need to add a few more internal sound tweeters about 150 more per floor.
6) He also need to know where to install those external sound tweeters inside the nesting room.
7) One of his biggest problem are the corner nests. Most of his tenants are making their nest on corners. I told him to think of a way to force his tenants to use the flat areas.
8) I was not very happy with his effort to install as many fake nests as possible.
9) I think he can get more birds inside if he apply my perfume garden idea.
10) The problem with his headless dead bodies must be some kind of predators that are fond of bird's head. It could be either the bat or rat. He should try to install a kind of cctv camera example the one that are used on your car dash board. Try to monitor what predators are coming in at what time.