Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Those Cement Nesting Platforms !!!

(Top Entry type)

A very rare case in Peninsular Malaysia where Meranti wood are easily available.

This four stories BH is using cement platforms as its nesting areas.

I took some pictures just to show all who have never seen one before.

It have its own advantages but there are lots of disadvantages too.

The way they are held to the cement ceiling is via those steel rods with locking nuts.

I have yet to climb up to view at close range but they looks solidly anchored to the cement roof to me.

One of the biggest problems is during any installation of tweeters and fake nests.

I used to use those phillip head screws to anchor my tweeters and fake nests.

Now it looks as if the old method is not applicable.

You need to drill the cement platform first and after that insert a plastic filler.

Once the filler is in place I can then screw those tweeters or fake nests in place.

What about the application of pheromone on them?

Never tried and I hope there wont be any reaction with the cement.

One big advantage over wood based nesting planks would be that it will not have fungus.

No matter how much water you sprayed inside your BH the cement platform will be always free of fungus growth.

One more advantage will be the nest size.

The birds tend to use more saliva and their nests will be larger in size.

I hope these strong points will give me all the reasons to drill the platform before installation of my tweeters and fake nests.







No comments: