Today April 14th 2014 visited a BH located on an acre of land that was not doing well.
The owner related his side of the story on how he got into the BH business.
The project was launched a few years ago by a company called Sunrise Brothers.
The developer owned a number of successful BHs in Lukut and Port Dickson.
For this project the company divided a 27 acres of orchard land into once acre each.
Each acre they erected a BH.
So all the 27 BHs are actually competing with each other.
The nice thing about the project is that each owner own a BH and a piece of land, 1 acre, with some fruit trees and a pond.
After inspecting one of the 27 BHs, I told the owner about what I think his BH is:
1) The BH was a bit hot inside and I discovered later that all the walls were single type.
2) The air flow inside the BH was a bit stiff and again it was due to those ventilation holes that were blocked both by a plastic cap and those paint applied on them.
3) The entrance hole used was the top entry type. The entrance area was okay but a bit too little number of external sound tweeters.
4) The hexagonal was okay but could be better.
5) There were some good signs of bird shit spots on the floor. Nearly all these marking on the floor was below those internal sound playing tweeters.
6) The strange thing observed was that even with a very thick layer of bird shit on the floor but there were very little nest markings. This must be caused by something that prevent those couples from building their nests. I suspect the temperature and the lighting.
7) The number on internal sound tweeters on each floor was not more than 30 pieces. I think the number is too little since most of them (60%) were with bird shit markings below them. If he should have increased say 300 per floor he might now be having a total of 60% of 300 per floor or 180 bird shit spots.
8) I was not very fascinated on how the internal sound tweeters were installed. The consultant have very little idea on how to handle those swiftlet. The way he installed is like making those swiftlet life very difficult. He should have make it easier to lure them to immediately adopt the BH.
9) There was no external sound tweeters inside the nesting rooms.
10) The external sound was okay and the internal sound was the Babyking.
11) During the data room inspection I discovered that one of the internal sound playing amplifier was not functioning.
12) One very interesting gadget that the consultant installed was a light on the lowest floor inside a kind of wooden enclosure. This might be a kind of light to help those birds to come down or find their way out. Something that I have never thought of. I think this consultant must have used this gadget in his other BHs.
13) There was not a single fake nest found inside the BH.
I stressed to the owner his BH is like an ordinary car with very little gadget to push the car to move faster.
If he continue running as the current system I think the nest population will be very slow in increasing or perhaps stop multiplying.
He asked my favor to put a paper about what should be done and I am sure if he followed my recommendations his BH might be moving toward the right direction.