Search This Blog

Saturday, May 17, 2014

Bird Count For May 10-17th 2014 !!!!

(Latest screen shot of Birds Monitoring System)



Last night the Pantai Remis BH owner diligently captured the number of the monitoring screen and the increase in number is pretty good for Friday and Saturday.

Remember before revamp works the nests inside was about 60 nests.

This monitoring system is the only unit installed in a BH and is under a kind of trial.

I installed at Pantai Remis BH after obtaining the unit from a friend.

The cost of this unique equipment is about plus minus RM 2500 excluding installation.

This might be due to a few reasons and let me list to you some:

1) I started the NKS arrangement with one of the partner on Friday evening about 3:00pm.  NKS is my new term for Nest Kick Start.  What we did was to prepare about 50 pieces of styrofoam fake nests about 5"x1"x1" ready with two screws and a canister of Super Pheromone.  He will carry a ladder and a screw driver and I with the fake nests.  We search for any signs of newly formed bird shit spots on the BH floor and the moment we discover he will climb up to install two fake nests on the left and the right of the saliva markings on the nesting planks.  Once installed both will be sprayed with Super Pheromone liquid.  The smell of the Pheromone might be the main reason why the number jumped up for both days.

2) I decided to change the external sound from Super Jerantut to Super 5Xi.  This very new sound seems to be a big attraction.   While I was there and just after the test run the number of birds that responded were encouraging and nearly all will play around the entrance hole and many will enter and leaving the hole.

3) The other possible reason is the raining spell that are occurring at Pantai Remis.  There will be lots of birds around the area searching for food and I am sure their number will be lesser if there was no rain.

During the visit we managed to installed at least 40 pieces of fake nests (NKS) which is equivalent to 20 new markings.

I told the owner to see the result within the next three to four weeks.

If those spots were active they will either move over to one to the two fake nests or will continue building their nest on the wooden planks.

I sincerely believed that out of 10 spots 8 will move onto the fake nests.

Those fake nests are actually the base for them to start building their first nest.

These young couple must have just coupled up and never build a nest before.

We can imagine that their saliva gland are going to be used for the first time and I doubt if they know how to activate it as well after the first time.

This is where these NKS comes in to help these young couples.

Once they found the fake nests I am pretty sure they will think twice before proceeding with building of the nesting planks.

It is much easier and faster and also use less saliva to move over the onto the fake nests.

Let see what happen after a few weeks from now.

I will be happy to share this very interesting and new idea that I have invented and under test.

I would encourage all BH owner to adopt or copy this idea and share with the rest if you have any good or bad result.

Just follow the method I used and take some pictures before and after.

Once that is done please email the pictures before and after and tell me precisely what and how you did it.

My email address is harryswiftlet@yahoo.com

You can whatsapp to my mobile phone +60177551318.

No comments: