Search This Blog

Monday, July 6, 2009

Corner Covers Installation: Right And Wrong !!!

I was granted an open ticket to enter a BH in Setiawan, Perak, with 3000 nests in them.

My main reason this round was not much to show the BH to my visitors but my target was to learn as much as I can from a perspective of a blog writer.

I told myself while in the car towards the BH that I have a responsibility to report things that are not easily observed by many.

This time I focus on corner covers method of selection and installation.

This 5 years old BH is producing about 1000 raw nests a month.

The owner told me that he adopted the approach of covering those corners once the birds used the corner for at least two cycle.

He prefer the use of steel, to be exact stainless steel plate, as to others who prefer wood.

His main reason was minimising nest that will be 130* shape. Using a thin stainless steel plate will actually remove the 130* shape nest in total.

This is true if you look at these pictures:






Well there some that were not installed properly. Look at the wide gap at the back of the plates. It is better to lengthen the plate and make sure the plate sit flat on the surface of the nesting plank.







The gap at the back can be nuisance when those birds still prefer to sneek at the back of corner as this picture shown:



One other thing that I was a bit unhappy is to have those screw head on the steel plate.



This petrusion, if covered by the nest on the top will get your harvesting knife bend or spoiled. He should have used a countersunk screw type.

What I can say to him was that since the number of nests exceed 300 he should cover all the corners with the plate but use a countersunk screw head.

I mike suond busy body but he knows I mean good. He trusted me and alway make a point to allow all my friends to enter his proud BH.

"I will always let Harry and his friend to visit my BH. All in all he is a true friend who is always constructive and never hide something which can help me to improve my BHs."

I am truely honored. So far I have entered the house at least 5 times and brought with me at least 10 visitors, all were my blog readers, who were lucky to enter this BH.

Thank you my dear friend from Setiawan, Perak.

No comments: