Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Sibu Brothers Came To Town !!!



Last week the "Sibu Brothers" from Sarawak came to town. Among so many who wrote about swiftlet farming on the net they choose me. Why !!!. I need to ask them.

The four consisted of a would be retiree plus his brother (a contractor) and their close friends (both having their own busineses). I have never met any of them in person prior to this.

Their main objective was to build one BH each on four pieces of agricultural land located in Mukah, Sarawak.

They just wanted to minimise their risk of making blunders and wanted a person to guide them.

Among the many people available in Malaysia they choose Pak Harry. I wanted to know from the organiser, why me?.

"Pak Harry, among so many blog writer I think you are completely different. You are the best since you adopt the sharing attitude. You are willing to give more then what we deserved."

I picked them up at KL Sentral at about 8:30 am and I let them enjoy the bird call test in operation at Rawang Country Home.

This seem to be their first time doing a bird call test using "Duress". I told them that this is the best method to check for swiftlets.

"Wow Pak Harry this is interesting and we have never seen this new technique. Within a few short minutes those birds were drawn towards us. Magnificent way of making sure that there are birds. Thank you for showing us."

We then proceeded to Batang Berjuntai, Selangor. We stop by at my favourite location where there were six to 10 BHs and lots of swiftlet flying in and out of those entrance holes. Very fascinating and they give lots of attention on the shape of the entrance holes and where those tweeters were located.

We then moved towards Sungai Rambai Yu He Swiftlet City located about 5 kilometers away towards Kuala Selangor. This will be their first visit where they can enter a BH and have a good look on the internal built up of a successful BH. Key areas of interest were the nesting planks orientation, those corners, the staircase and the LAL, the position of those supporting beams and etc.

"Very interesting Pak Harry. This is better then attending a talk or a seminar. You are actually teaching plus practical into one."

Well after the swiftlet city I quickly pushed towards Sekinchan stand alone BHs located on those padi fields. There were many with different designs especially their entrance holes.

"Pak Harry, how come each BH have their own entrance design?"

Well each building have their own contractor who happened to be the "Consultant". Each have their own way of attracting those wild birds.

By late noon we were in Sabak Bernam for late lunch.

After finishing the lunch I took them straight to Setiawan, Perak. This will be the real action.

The moment we reached Kg Koh I swerve my car to a popular junction to take a peep at the most successful BH in Malaysia. I told them that the monthly output of this house, I was told, was nothing less then 100Kg. Wow that was fantastic.

We went to check ourself in a small hotel and rest for about 10 minutes.

"Well what's next Pak Harry?"

We are going to enter a BH full of nests. How about that?

All the four could not wait a minute longer. We went straight to the BH belonging to my good friend who volunteer to open his BH doors.

Upon reaching the owner greet us happily and have a long chat with all the four. He was using my "Black Cloud" external sound at that time. The weather was marvellous and cool. There were lots of birds in the air above his BH and his neighbors. Many dive in and out of the intended BH.

We entered and the internal view of this BH was mesmerising. Lots of birds in the rooms and many were in their nests. Some might be babies but many keep flying in and out. The roving area was in the middle of two nesting floors.

We stayed inside for almost 20 minutes. Visited two floors and the Sibu brothers were so fascinated and wanted see more.

While they were engrossed with the owner I took the opportunity to snap pictures for my blog. I observed those corner covers, the anchor hangers, the nests positioning on the corner covers, the most preferred nesting areas and so on.

After more then 20 minutes the four came out and told me that the view was fantastic and thank me for arranging with the owner. It is not easy to have this kind of opportunity in getting the permission of any BH owners to enter their successful BH.

"Thank you and thank you Pak Harry"

We than was taken to another BH, a new but not in operation, by the same person.

"Pak Harry what's next?"

Well let us visit an electrical shop at Sri Manjung who supply interesting gadgets for BHs.

I gave them a break so that they can see something that this shop owner have to offer. The "PVC" pipe Bazooka. We tested the item and it was very interesting.

After the short break, we moved to John Chen's BH about a few blocks away. The view was refreshing. They were curious about the open roof entrance system.

We also managed to visit meet a popular BH owner who operated a optical shop in Setiawan town. He happened to be the President of BH owners association in Perak.

Then I make sure the brothers enjoy the evening view of birds coming home to roost.

The next day I told them to be up as early as 6:30am. I took them to have a look at the morning view at Kg Koh BH. The birds just beginning to ooz out when we arrived. They were glued to the floor viewing those magnificent event of birds coming out of the entrance hole.

"Very very interesting and unbelievable. They keep flying out for more then 2 hours Pak Harry. Maybe we should have something to fill our stomach."

After 9.00am we proceeded to Ayer Tawar, Perak to take a closer look at a BH which was under my care. I told them that I need to do some maintenance and the owner wanted to check the BH for any new birds marking inside.

They do their investigating while I was busy checking any signs of those birds. Yes there were a few new markings.

I took them back to KL and stop for lunch at Bidor and tea at Tanjung Malim.

Overall the trip was very successful and the four were thankful for all the efforts.

I wish them the very best and with high hope they will invite me to come over to Mukah to launch their new BHs.

If you wish to do the same please email your interest to harryswiftlet@yahoo.com.
You need at least two days for the tour.

Cost is marginal but the benefits are tremendous. You learned while you visit real BHs.

No comments: