Search This Blog

Monday, July 27, 2009

Why Some BH Owners Adopt Force Harvest Technique !!!!

"Pak Harry, I heard from coffee shop talk that the most successful BHs in my town now are adopting those forced harvesting technique. Why must they do that?"

(A forced harvesting technique is one of the harvesting method that you pick all the nests in your BH with or without those eggs or babies in the nests. You pick the nests and you throw away all those internal contents (eggs and babies).)

I smiled and quickly asked him how successful is the BH?

"Well they can easily harvest about 40 kilograms a month."

Hmm .... very interesting. Inside me I was assembling my thought on how to give this guy the right answer.

If I use the wrong words that I will be punished and he might think that I am not willing to share my knowledge but if I utter the truth then I might be giving the wrong vibes to the industry.

Do you want to know the truth nothing but the truth?

"Yes Pak Harry, the truth please?"

Well in that case let me tell you something about most of these successful BH owners behaviors.

They know that once their BH is full to the brim all those young birds will move to the neighboring houses. If this happen they gain very little from this exercise. Those greed's in them is something that God have given to them.

So to practise forced harvesting will actually prevent the development of more young birds thus reducing the chances of those neighbouring BHs to get a free young birds.

However, my young man, the real truth nothing but the truth, is that the owner wanted to increase their bird nests population.

"But how Pak Harry? How does it works?"

Let me ask you this question. Have you ever come across any BH owners whose BH were recently burglarised? Can you ask him what happen after the incident?

His answer will be " Yes my birdnest population increased by about 20% immediately after the burglary."

What do you think happened that make the nests population suddenly increased by 20%?

You tell me. Just think for a short moment what those burglars did that makes those birds started to increase those nests?

Usually when a BH is being burglarised, you will see lots of broken eggs and dead baby birds on the floor, right? Everything on the nesting planks are left with marking of traces.

What do you think will those mother or daddy birds do when they came back and saw their their nest are cleaned and those babies and broken eggs were on the floor?

Yes they cried and wailed and uncontrollably ask others to come and moan for their loses. These so call noises must have invited others birds to come and help to rebuilt the colony.(This is where those 20% comes from.)

This reaction is more like animal instinct.

They feel that their generation will be lost and the only way out is to quickly rebuilt their new batch of babies.

So what is this burglary thing have to do with forced harvesting?

My simple answer is they are exactly the same.

I am not trying to suggest or giving you any wild ideas but this is what I concluded and if I am wrong please give me a better explanations.

Please minimise the use of this force harvest technique. They are not very kind to those young birds.

No comments: