Search This Blog

Friday, September 11, 2009

My First Visit Of a BH made of Wood !!!



In my many years of experiences in visiting BHs, I was never given the opportunity to enter any BH made of wood.

I alway have in mind that all BHs must be of cement structures.

Well during my recent visit to Sibu/Mukah/Serikei I was allowed to enter two BHs both were made of wood.

It was a very simple design and if not because of some micro habitats problems, I was dead sure that one of the unit will do well.





The owner spend only about RM30,000 ringgit to construct the BH. He pays another RM30,000 just to pull those electrical cables about 1.5 kilometers from the nearest house.

The one that can I assume will do well was the Mukah BH.

After a 45 minutes visit, I told the owner to look into all the ways to bring the maximum internal temperature to below 30*C. During my visit the thermo hygrometer was showing a maximum temperature of 33.6*C.




The internal brightness was also a big concern. I instructed to put a patitioning somewhere in the middle.

The external sound system was not to my satisfaction. I wanted him to change those tweeters to only one type and size. From the entrance hole until the back of the BH he must arrange them as such there is a kind of sound continuation.

During the first five minutes in the BH he did not switch of the "Tongkat Ali" bird sound. I was very impressed with the response. There were at least 5 - 8 birds in the house during the period. Most of them were attracted to those tweeter playing the sound.







The owner used only one sound i.e. Tongkat Ali for extenal and internal. I told him to be normal. Use those mating sound as internal and tongkat ali as the external.

He should perhaps use a Hexagonal tweeters to pull more birds to his roof top.

The most interesting was the path that I need to take just to reach the BH.

It was in a Nipah Palm swampy area. They have this kind of walkway made of 10 inches wide planks.




A very innovative person who takes a lot of pain to be a swiftlet farmer.

Who says that it is easy to be a BH owner????

No comments: