Search This Blog

Monday, September 21, 2009

Try To Move Some Of Those Nesting Planks With Lots Of Nest Markings !!!


Today is the 2nd day of Hari Raya.

While many Malaysians do their visiting, I was in Nibong Tebal, Seberang Prai, visiting a new blog reader of mine who need some BH opinion.

I drove down to Nibong Tebal at about 10am and arrived at about 11.00 am from Sungai Patani, Kedah.

Upon reaching Mr.L was waiting with his beloved wife at Maybank, Nibong Tebal.

"Pak Harry why don't you leave your Camry and hop into my car. We can go together and have some lunch but before that please drop by at my new BH."

I parked my black car and hopped into his. He quickly took me to his BH about 500 meters away from where I met him.

"Pak Harry, I just renovated this new BH and after 10 months I got only one nest. You see I have one successful BH just beside this new unit. They are side by side. Since the old BH is nearly full I have decided to expand their nesting areas."

"Why aren't the young birds move to my new BH after more then 10 months?"

Hmm.....this is something very similar to the unit which I recently visited in Alma, Seberang Prai.

The unit in Alma was undergoing renovation but this unit was in operational mode for more then 10 months.

Well I took about 30 minutes to view both the new unit and the old unit.

Yes they are side by side and the connecting wall were partially opened via two holes. One about 4 feet by 4 feet, at the back of the house, and a lager one, 8 feet by 5 feet at the front.

Two chicken coop humidifiers were running almost 10 hours a day and the room humidity surpassed 99%.

Most of the room floors were wet.

The nesting planks looks good but with some signs of fungus.

The number of tweeters were okay but no external sound tweeters anywhere.

Why those birds refuse to enter this side of the building?

With 10 months in operation, those cement smell are cleared?

My conclusion was that the new BH was not properly prepared prior to wall breaking.

The owner have very little knowledge on what to be done and he was not aware that those birds are very sensitive to their surroundings and smell.

My first recommendation was to install a few external sound tweeters especially at the new opening on the wall plus a few more at the far ends.

The next was to play the internal sound only on the new building and shut the sound on the old wing.

What about those humidifiers? I told Mr.L to perhap change to those soundless humidifiers. If he still wanted to use the old unit he need to cut down the operation time.

"Mr.L you need to run the chicken coop humidifier from say 10am till perhap 5pm. You cannot run them when those birds are flying home i.e. from 5.oopm til 8.oopm. The noise generated are not condusive. However if you use those soundless unit you can continue running them up till 10 pm."


Mr.L, what happen to those birdshits? I do not see much of them? I want you to move those birdshit from the old wing to the new wing. Please get those bostik drums, about 10 or so, and use them to store those birdshits. Try not to remove them unless necessary.

Can you try this special method that will make those birds immediately move over? I want you to swab or move a few of those old planks with lots of nest marking from the old wing to the new one. Take them down and cut them to fit the size of those planks in your new wing. I assure you that those birds will easily move over.

The final thing that I wanted him to do was to increase the size of the opening at the front area to the maximum. Those birds are shy to move over. If these opening does very little to affect the darkness open them as big as you can.

Also try to install more of those styrofoam fake nests on the outer ring of the nesting planks.

You might want to consider changing those old sounds with my Tongkat Ali and Black Cloud.

After a good sea food lunch I drove home happy to have be useful to a new friend.

No comments: