Search This Blog

Saturday, January 12, 2008

MealWorms: Live Food For Birds !!!!

I was very facinated with an Indonesian swiftlet rancher who actually breed their own swiftlet by incubating their eggs and hand feed the baby birds.

Please see this video clip: http://www.liputan6.com/sosbud/?id=140593

What makes me very curious is the food that they feed these baby birds.

Using my common sense I started to hunt for more informations on the possible food on the web.

The food have to be a life insect that are easily breed. It must also feed on something that is easily available and cheap. The insect have the potential of multiplying at a fast rate.

Among all the possible life insect I came to the conclusion that it must be the mealworms.

Just look at this:



I will gather more informations about this creature, what they are and how to breed them .....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Harry, nice to see you doing alot of effort on your blog.

About the video I saw this before, and I got a question in My mind, just share with you, We know them (Indon) been doing alot, like breed their own swiftlet by incubating their eggs and hand feed the baby birds.

But what I think when the birds are mature enought and time to mate, how we have to teach them to build the own nest!!!! This is the part that Indon didn't show, what is your idea?

Pak Harry The Swiftlet Anthusiast !!! said...

Yong,
This particular issue is very sensitive. Many people believed that human shud not encroach to the extend of breeding these swiftlets because they will be over dependent to homan or might not be afraid of human. And some will conclude that they will never service in the wild.

I look at it with open mind. There are some good things and there are some bad things. As long as we follow a certain rules then we will be able to enjoy the benefits of our har work.

Swiftlets are wild creatures. I am sure they have these wild instinc which they will do what nature will do once the time comes.

We cannot make conclusion just by here says but we shud get experts who have been doing the breeding to gave us the right answers.

I am not trying to encourage people to go for swiftlet breeding but I an curious about it. I want to know more about it. I do not want to close my mind just because people have made up the negative opinions.

If we can breed chicken, dove,pigeon, ostrich, burung puyuh and etc I think there is nothing wrong to look into swiftlet.

The above are my personal opinion just to answer your question.

Pak Harry The Swiftlet Anthusiast !!! said...

Yong,

I just wanted to add.

My late father believed that the world is flat and he carried that until he died.

He did not believed that man has ever landed on the moon.