Search This Blog

Monday, January 21, 2008

A Very Tough Question To Answer !!!

I though I have all the answers in the world to give to my blog readers.

This week received a question that I was not prepared to answer.

The question comes from a blog reader residing in Bali.

His question is very simple and it goes like this:

Dear harry,

My birdhouse have the problem where the temperature is as low as 21*Centigrade.

Can you advise what can I do?


See what I mean. This is not something that I will get from a Malaysian but an Indonesian. Maybe he was testing me on my brief knowledge on swiftlet farming.

From what I have heard and gathered, if the room temperature goes down below 24*C, there is a chance that the babybirds will freeze to death. The eggs in the nest, if they are not with their parent incubating, will also have problem in hatching. They might be frozen too.

But this is nature. Will the bird servive? Or will they migrate? I have no answers to this.

The only practical solution that I can think of is for the birdhouse owner to install humidifier that are using hot mist type.

The hot mist humidifier is similar to that of cool mist but the only different is that it has a heater to heat the water.


Just read this:

Warm-mist humidifiers

Although recommended less often than evaporative humidifiers, warm-mist humidifiers can make a room feel warmer, allowing you to bump your thermostat down a notch or two without feeling cold. Warm-mist humidifiers also offer the benefit of dispensing medications for inhalation. Since warm-mist humidifiers boil water before expelling it into the air, they kill bacteria and don't require filters so there's less maintenance expense. However, that is offset by their higher cost to run, since they use more energy than other types of humidifiers.



Found at: http://www.consumersearch.com/www/house_and_home/humidifiers/review.html

No comments: