Search This Blog

Friday, April 25, 2008

A Beautiful Birdhouse Facing A Pond !!!



While in Segamat, Johor me and Mr.O was invited by Mr.S to make a maiden visit to a new birdhouse about to be completed.

This new BH have a very unusual design where there are no ventilation holes being designed for.

I reserved my comment to the owner but inside my heart, I wish I know how those wild birds will get enought oxygen to breath.

Putting the ventilation holes design espect aside, I went into the BH and was given a special tour by the proud owner.

The BH cost him about RM500,000 with four floors and about 20 feet width by 90 feet long.




The roving room was about 20 by 20 feet and about 24 feet height. There were two 3'X4' entrance holes one facing the water pond and one facing 90* away from the pond.

Once the bird enter the roving room they can enter the top most floor via an opening about 5 feet by 10 feet. There were two Lubang Antara Lantai (LAL) about 4 feet by 10 feet which will allow the birds to reach the 3rd and 2nd floor. On the second floor the designer made an opening at the end portion of the floor a LAL about 4 feet by 6 feet.



A very interesting design and new to me. It seem that the designer is an Indonesian with years of experiences and have built more then 50 BHs in Malaysia.

Hmm I wonder why he avoid those ventilation holes.

I love those condominium nesting planks that allows a five tiers nesting areas. Most of this are fixed direct to the walls and not the ceilings. They are designed as such the upper level will not disturb those below especially their shits.



Overall I am happy to be given the opportunity to visit another new BH. I learn some new things and at the same can share with my blog readers.

I left the BH with deep thought on why the designer removed those ventilation holes in his BH ???



7 comments:

Ben Gan said...

Harry,

In your opinion, what is the most suitable height for each floor in a birdhouse?

How is that you didn't ask when you see something you didn't understand?

Yours answers will oblige.

Thanks, Ben

Pak Harry The Swiftlet Anthusiast !!! said...

Ben,

The minimum recommended height for each floor is 7 feet. The optimum is about 9 feet. If you want to increast to 12 feet it is alright.

Ben, the designer was not there to answer the question but the owner, as usual, have no knowledge about swiftlet birdhouse design. Since he have already fork out 500,000 I just do not want to inflick more pain on him.

I did voiced my opinion to MrS who brought me there and it is up to him to communicate with the designer.

tirokswifts said...

Harry,

Perhaps, the designer wants to have all red nests. If my house don't have ventilation holes I can explain because my house have a big mouth to breath at the top. I dont' know about this house. Perhaps the owner wants to aircon the birdhouse.

Anonymous said...

without ventilation hole, the air flow may be blocked/restricted as fresh air are unable to circulate smoothly.

did the owner put any pond inside?

Pak Harry The Swiftlet Anthusiast !!! said...

Tirok,

U might be right and I hope all the nests will be red !!!

Alvin,
The BH was very new and there were no water pond or drain structures to contain any water.

I just hope the designer have something that I could not see during the visit.

Ben Gan said...

Harry,

Thanks.

When you said 500,000, did you mean RM500,000 for the 4-storey building complete with the renovation and all essential items including the sound system?
Would you say that the price is too high?

Cheers!

Pak Harry The Swiftlet Anthusiast !!! said...

Ben,
Yes it was RM 500,000 all inclusive. The owner might have mark up a few zeros I am not sure. He is proud to round it to half a million excluding the land.