Search This Blog

Friday, April 18, 2008

The Insect Powder Usage Progress !!!


Been receiving a number of calls about the use of the insect powder.

Some are doing very well while some still do not have much progress. Since I do used them I wanted to share with those who are about to use or those who do not have any idea how it works.

The insect powder is just an accessories that you put into your birdhouse to make them to stay. If your birdhouse microhabitats are perfect, there is no reason why they will not choose yours as compare to the neighbors.

Once activate, by adding normal water, the eggs in the powder will start to release those maggots into the sludge. These maggots will eat the sludge and grow in size. Once they reach the required size they will start to crawl on to the pail's wall and find the right spot for their next mode of transformation. They will actually turn into pupa. After the pupa stage the pupa sack will break and out come the fruit fly.

The fruit fly will, in general, mate and will immediately lay eggs inside the wet sludge. The breeding cycle will continue until the sludge have no food value to the insect. Normally this will be about 4 to 6 months. Note: You need to top the water up on every visit to your BH.

Last week, I went back to visit my birdhouse. I am happy to note that those pails were with lots of insect pupa and insects around the mouth of the two pails. I tapped on it and most of them will fly and hide on the wall.

For your reference please see these pictures:








They looks okay to me but the water in the pails were a little too low. I Added about half a liter and stirred them well.

I have entered into a new mode of operation. Right now I an not only using the insect powder but I also will be adding more insect by using various fruits like pineapples, jack fruits, banana, tapioca, coconut, ciku, jambu and etc (glucose based materials).

During my last trip I bought a few pieces of large plastic trays that shall be used as the holder of all those glucose generating materials.



I have instructed my BH caretaker to get hold of plastic pipes, about 4 inches in diameter and one foot long, to be placed in the middle of the tray and around it I want those materials to be laid. The pipes will be where those maggots will climb to pupate and metamorphose into fruit flies.

Every week there will be a new materials added to the current materials. Every week water shall be sprayed on each tray. After five weeks the first tray shall be removed.

Note: You need to sprinkle some bakery yeast (RAGI) on the materials in the tray..

I will try to capture some photos to place onto this blog.....

My next plan is to built an insect breeding hut in my birdhouse ...

If the design works I will let my blog reader to have them at a minimum price .....

Please be advise if you need to try using those insect powders please call Harry at 017 755 1318 for a trial pail. Each pail comes in a 2 kilogram bag plus a 5 liter container. Cost is just RM 120 per pail.

No comments: