Search This Blog

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Two Floors BH in Kelantan With Negative Birdnests Count !!!


It is very important for all birdhouse owners to have a proper log book.

Every time you visit your BH, you need to log in. Your log in must consist of the date you visited, with whom, the purpose, time that you enter, the list of things that you carried out and of course the most important your asset audit (how many nests and birdshit spots were there?).

If you are the objective orientated, you will have a white board on the wall of your data room with this note, in big letters: " My Objective Is To Increase The Number Of Nests from 25 To 250 By End of 2008" (example).

Just read this special story that I happened to came across.

" Harry I am so and so and would like to purchase those insect powder from you".

" Two pails please".

From the few words that I heard, I sense some problem with his BH.

"Okay I will sent them to you and please let me know a bit more about your BH".

We met and started a friendly conversation.

"Harry, I am so glad to meet you and your blog have been an inspiration to me."

"Thank you and thank you."

"Well Harry, the BH belongs to my blood brother and he invested into it without having any knowledge on Swiftlet Farming".

Hmm ... sound very familiar .....

How is the house doing? I asked..

"The BH have been in operation almost 1 year plus. At one time the birdnest count was 100 and now down to only 25".

Can you see what I mean? The number of nests were not going up but downward. Yes from 100 down to 25.

This tells you that, if you do not make any or proper efforts to look after the house properly, the nests number will declined. There is no guarantee that the number will always move upward....

Interesting and I feel my ghost bumps stand as if I saw some ghost.

Oh my god, this is what will happened if you leave things to God and take no effort to look after the BH.

After jotting down all the things that he can tell, I told him that the BH is not well (sick) and he need to quickly look into a kind of rehabilitation program especially on its microhabitat.

It might be the temperature or the sound system or the competitors around him or the disturbances by those predators (cockroach or etc) and etc.

I can only guess and I listed a few things that he can do, inclusive of the aroma therapy, plus the activation of those insect powder. My first thought is the sound. His brother have never make any attemp to change the sound for all these years.

If they did not work, after three months, I might need to go up and have a closer look.

In the mean time I told him to quickly finish reading my blog and learn as much as he can.

There is still hope and I told him to contact me for any further advises if he needed one.

The morale of this true story are:

1) Birdnests count in your BH can decrease. Beware of this trap and the best thing you can do is to monitor their numbers on every trip that you enter the house. Have a proper log book. If the number goes down, you can guess that something is not right and you need to prepare your action plans....

2) You need to acquire as much knowledge about Swiftlet Farming before going into it. If you enter this business "Blindly", I am very sure your will knock lots of bolders and you will get yourself injured.

3) Try to look at the use of all the new Technologies available. You must upgrade your system to be better then your neighbors. You should raise your BH systems to a level that the birds will prefer to stay with you and not your neighbors. You must feel like: " I am not scared of those neighbors but they are scared of me."


So make the right decision and learn from this true story that I have just encountered .........

I am always available to listen to your BH problems and provide some guidelines which you may opt. The final decision is you and you....

No comments: