Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Pak Hen And His Fellow Swiftlet's Farmers !!!



Just wanted to post this special picture that was taken using my canon powershot.

In total there were 38 people attended the course.

I was very lucky to be one of the student but feel very honoured to be given the opportunity to do my part as an invited speaker. One hour was more then enought as a starter.

Pak Hen talks were mind blower. He was so immaculate with answers that you can satisfy all your needs. He spend hours with all of us without making any complains what so ever. The discussion session ends mid night and we talk and talk until all of us have nothing more to ask him.



His article about breeding of insect to feed those hungry swiftlets, was my favourite. I keep shaking my head listerning to those things that the Indonesian farmers will do just to invite the wild birds to stay in their farm. The insect breeding is no longer something that you should consider, but is a must, if you want your house to be populated. Examples were given to make all of us understand how important it was.

I am amazed at the method of breeding. They even used a specially built hut for these insects. The hut have special holes allowing blown air to catapult the insects into the BH at a specific time of the day.

Just unbelievable and mind blowing. I now come to realise that there so many things to learn and there is nothing better then learning from a third generation BH owner from Indonesia.



We also have a special guess, Mr.A, who joined us to explain about his birdhouses. Mr.A have one of his house with red nests. He did no do anything to get those red nests. I believed those Red nests were due to Mr.A laziness to clear those birdshits on the floors of his BH nesting rooms. He admitted that he was lazy. He suspected that those thick amonia smell must have caused the nests to turned red.

Pak Ir, is someone that I dearly look at him as my father. A very gentle and pleasent to talk to. Also eager to explain all the things that he have gone thru and he claimed that one of his birdhouse was buglarised for 11 times. The truth is that he never give up.....



Pak Jeff, was very kind to have all of us together for the first time. His arrangement for the two days were perfect. No hiccup and no blunders....

The food were very good and the beach were a jewel. I miss going for my snorkling.

After the seminar we took a boat ride to visit a cave on the island. What we saw was not swiftlets but bats. They flew out and those sea eagles came in to snatch a few for their babies, I guessed.

We also went to visit a few birdhouses on the mainland. One, close to the port, was using those soundless methods of attracting birds.



I was very impressed with it and vow to do some investigations on the gadget that were made available to me at a price. I plan to do some testing in Kuala Lumpur and make a detail reports for all my blog reader. So far got 5 orders for the black box.

No comments: