Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Harry I Need Your Urgent Advise On What Is Happening With My Birdhouse?

A very interesting email calling Harry from some advise. I read the short email message and frankly it is very difficult to find the right answer. There might be hundred of reasons.

Since he sound so desperate, I forced myself to answer and were as follows:

Quote:

Hello Harry,

Need your help to clear my doubts. In the morning and afternoon, i have seen birds flying towards my BH's entrance and been turning round and round but among the 70 birds only a few wished to go inside and paid it a visit. Can you please tell me what went wrong with my BH? Btw the BH has 200 nest now . Really appreciate your advices. Thank you.

Unquote

My Answer to him:

Mr L,

I might not give have the right answers but I shall try.

Please remember my answers can be more accurate if I can pay a visit to have a closer look at the scenario.

I need you to answer a few questions:

1) The entrance hole.
The placement of the entrance hole. How far from the top (ceiling) and how close to the wall (side wall)? It shud be 50 cm below the ceiling and 40 cm from the side wall.

2) The room number one when the bird enter the house. This room have to be 4 meters length or 12.5 feet so that the bird can make a proper turning towards the side hole.

3) Do you need the 3rd room. I don't see the need of the 3rd room but if you want to have you need to be 12.5 feet length same as the first room.


4) Do you recently apply any aroma in the BH?
If yes can I know the aroma type. It is for the wall, for the floor or for the wood planks?

5) What about the application of insect poison in the house. When and have it be applied on the regular basis?

6) Have you check if there is a potential prediators in the house. Look out for any sign of bat, owl, rats, cats and cochroach.

7) By chance you did any change of sound? external, internal or on the top of the roof?

8) Your BH room temperature. Is it below 30*C?

As you can see, there are many possibilities that causes the birds not flying in.

The good point is that there are many birds out on the roof but the sad thing is that they are not flying in.

These might be the possible causes:

1) There is something inside the house that is scaring the birds from entering. It might be a prediator (owl or bat or a cat or snake or rat) or something that you recently did which make the house smell not the same.

2) The BH temperature might be too hot. You need to closely monitor this temperature matters and do not take the matter lightly. If it always exceed (max temp) 30*C you need to come out with something to cool the room down to around 29*C. Do a quick thinking and solve this.

3) You might have just changed the external sound. The external sound must be so good that most of the birds do not want to enter the house. If you use the duress sound this is what is going to happen. All the birds will fly around and never will enter the house. Please do not use duress sound. What about at around 7.30pm, where do they go? Do they enter your BH?

4) There might be something wrong with the tweeters inside the house. They might be spoilt and the sound they give must be squeeky and scaring the birds from entering. Check every tweeter and replace them if you think they are squeeky or dead.

5) Is there a possibility of placing a humidifier in the roving area and let it run from 2pm to 7pm on a continuous mode except you stop about 10 minutes every hour? Just try and see what happen. This might attract the birds to enter the roving area and have a cool bath.



The above are some possible reasons but they might not be always right. You need to give more details inorder for me to give you many other reasons.

From the sketch given, I am not very happy with the dimension of the rooms.

They are just too short for the birds to make the appropriate turning. I hope I the above are adequate.

If you still need me please call me to talk about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

most probably is the sound. check for noise in tweeters or defective tweeters.