Search This Blog

Monday, August 4, 2008

Just Arrived And God Bless Me !!!

Sorry for not making any effort to update about my trip to Setiawan and the North.

Many interesting happenings and visit reports to be made.

Hope will be able to start with the first article tommorow morning.

One of the most exciting message I received today is from someone who have a white swiftlet in his BH.

I am very excited of this news because I never thought that there will a chance in my lifetime to see a real white colored swiftlet.

Today visited three BHs and with the very hot weather, got this splitting headeach.

Let me rest for the night and promise to write a few interesting articles that you might like to read.

Good night....

2 comments:

Dave said...

White swiftlet is actually a mutation that lacks of pigmentation in the skin due to defect of the genes.We call this almino.Without the protection of the pigmentation,the ultra violet rays(UV) from the sun will penetrate into the body and causes harm to the bird.Therefore,such white swiftlet normally will not able to out live other black swiftlets as it is considered weaker of the lots.Also,chances of it being single out by the the bird of prey is very much higher.

Anonymous said...

Hi Harry,

I'm the guy from Teluk Intan again regarding the white swiftlet in my BH.

I would like to inform you that the white swiftlet is bigger than the black swiftlet by maybe 2cm. The offspring of a black + white swiftlet is all black.

I would like to post the photo on your blog but my dad objected to it.

As for Dave's comment regarding white swiftlet being single out by bird of prey, i dun think its true, bcos white colour birds hv better camouflage when fying due to the sun's reflective properties. Logically u can spot a black bird in the sky easily but not white bird.