Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

When Can I Earn From My Birdnest Farming ?


Sometime newbies tend to be very pushy and their questions seem to be like asking for my commitment.

In swiftlet farming the answer lies on so many factors and it is very stressful to provide all the right answers. The chances is that I might be wrong !!!

Today received a call from a newbie from Johor.

"Harry, may I ask you one question? How many nests can my BH have after one year?"

Mr.P, it is all subjected to your BH location and the house microhabitats, If you BH is done properly and located around a flight path or near to a successfull BHs, you should expect about 20 to 30 nests. I might be wrong but that is considered good enought to a Malaysian Standard.

"Harry, another question. When can I start doing the harvesting?"

Well, it is up to you. If you think that you wanted to harvest after they have 20 nests go ahead and harvest a few but please allow the baby birds to be matured and flew away. The best is to monitor the usage of each bird nest carefully. You should place a sticker below the nest to indicate the cycle of usage. Once they used twice, harvest them and keep them in an air tight container. Don't worry they will come back and built their nest again.

"Harry, one last question. Should I convert my ground floor shop?"

Hmm... It is up to you. But you must know that local council will make your life difficult if you do that. If I were U, do half while the other half you rent it to be a handphone sales shop. Rent to them at a cheap cheap price. Ask them to look after the BH for you.

"Okay Harry. Thank you very much. If I need more question I will call you again. Oh ya one more, this will be the last. Do you think the birds like the sound to be very loud?"

Mr.P again it is up to you. If you BH is far away from any residential areas then you might like to blast them to a high volume but if close to residential or school please be reasonable. You have to be reasonable to those people around your BH. Anyway please be carefull with the volume. If you use piezo tweeters, if you put on full blast mode the tweeters will melt and thus the sound will be distorted too.

The volume of the sound is significant to the range that it will travel. The louder the more coverage areas. So use you common sense in choosing the right volume.

"What about the Internal sound?"

Normally if the volume is from 0 to 10, I will use about 1.5 to 2 only. These will be the baby sound, colony sound and mating sound.

Sometime I ask myself why am I doing all these? The trouble is that I cannot let my blog readers be lost without someone to ask about what is best for their BH.

So what to do? Have to help and do my best. I hope one day they will appreciate all the contributions from me in turning themself into a Millionaire.

No comments: