Search This Blog

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Got Into Trouble With My 4X4 Truck For Not Releasing The Hand Break !!!


I was on the way to the North of Peninsular last week and one of the back tires refuse to turn.

I bought this 4X4 Ford Ranger about 8 months ago to facilitate my job in carrying those bulky materials plus those smelly fresh bird shit, ammonium bicarbonate and those packed aromas.

The car provides me with two separate compartments to carry those bulky materials and my workers.

It works well however during one of my trip I forgot to release the hand break.

The heat generated due to friction must have be so much, so much so, one of the two break pads of one of the back tires came out.  You will be surprised to know that the break pad are usually glued to the metal holder.

What happened was that the loosen break pad formed like a stopper to the affected tire.  I was lucky since when the tire got into a locked position I was running at a pretty low speed, about 30 km/hr.  If not I can be turning upside down into a nearby drain.

There was a sort of cracking sound in the beginning but after that the affected tire simply would not rotate. Managed to swerve the car to the side onto those grass.

Since it was closed to a Petrol station I went for some help to get a tow truck.

Yes when the break drum was opened I can see the loosed disc inside it totally detached from the glued metal surface and the second pad was also have very similar detachment signs.

Got the mechanic to change the whole assembly, both back tires, and went scratched free.

Cost me something like RM450 for a new set of two break pads, towing service and workmanship.

Not bad and I was very glad to be alive.











No comments: