Another not doing well BH located somewhere at Teluk Kalong, Kemaman, Trengganu.
A very unusual BH using a special kind of colored bricks as it walls.
Each brick, according to owner was about RM 1.60.
This three stories building about 65 feet by 25 feet was put into operation about 2.5 years ago.
I counted the number of nests yesterday and I found only 25 nests.
Nearly all except one were found on the middle floor.
Special note here is that the lowest floor was under conversion into some kind of rooms for human.
What do you think about its performance?
The owner wanted some help to check why the nest number was so low and nothing happened so far for almost one year.
I drove about 4 hours to perform my duty and I would like to list some of the things found not right inside this BH.
1) The first thing that I think was not right was the sound system. The external sound was not functioning or loud enough to hear from the outside.
1A) There was not tweeter on the roof areas. In the monkey house tunnel only one tweeter was working and the sound volume played was very low.
2) The owner indicated that there was a freak accident when a lorry that passed by his BH hit those cables and he blamed the lorry for the sound system failure.
2A) After the freak accident the owner connected his only was of reactivating his BH and I think it was not the proper method. He actually used those telephone cable line to reactivate his external tweeters.
3) The BH location was a bit of a problem. It was surrounded with residential homes. I think he cannot maximize his BH external sound.
4) The number of external sound tweeters inside the monkey house and its surrounding was not adequate or appropriated.
5) The top floor was a bit too bright. This was due to his opening of doors at the main entrance areas. The floor brightness makes those birds feel unsafe and 24 of the 25 nests were found on the lower floor.
6) The LAL was a bit obscure and not properly though of.
6A) The BH was very dusty and dust on the floor will usually causes its nests to be very dirty.
7) The BH has no humidity control system. No humidifiers and no wet floor. I think the dryness might be one of the possible reason why there were not so many tenants.
8) There was no external sound inside the BH. The sound around the LAL was also internal sound.
9) He was lucky to use those BabyKing as his internal sound. He it was some other freeking sound it will be a much larger disaster.
10)Finally I think the owner's knowledge about swiftlet farming was a bit on the low side. There was no one or nobody that he can turned to.
Overall I think this BH was not well managed and lack of knowledge about managing BH was the key point here.
If he should have someone from, let say, the Jabatan Veterina I think his BH should do well.
Again I am not sure how knowledgeable are those from the Jabatan.
I wish that these Government Department do something in upgrading their knowledge and know how about swiftlet farming.
Make it as soon as you can please.
If there is no one to help in upgrading their knowledge call 017 7551318