Wednesday, May 15, 2013
A BH That Needs Some Major Rectifications !!!
You will feel very sad when you list down the number of mistakes inside a non performing BH.
Basically there are no proper school or institute or university that provide a kind of certificate to certify the qualification of anybody who claimed to be BH consultant.
The type of mistakes they carried out is sickening and make you want to vomit blood.
Today I happened to inspect another very critically ill BH in Sekinchan Selangor.
The owner is a Malay man about 60 years old, retired.
The three stories building was with 25 feet wide by 60 feet long three stories using a monkey house operation.
It was put into operation about one year ago and two months ago a consultant was engaged by him to make some repairs works.
He was desperate since there was not a single nest after 10 months into operation.
The Consultant promised the owner that after his repair works his BH will be filled with a lot of birds.
The helpless old man took the bait and told him to go ahead.
The so called consultant screwed up the whole house by making so many silly mistakes.
He was using external sound (black cloud and marvelous cloud) as the BH internal sound. The external he used was DHoney,
The first thing I did was to confess to the owner that it was a major blunder by a not qualified "Consultant".
If someone who claimed to be a "Consultant" and not even able to differentiate between internal and external sound, I think he should be exterminated or maybe go for a refresher course about swiftlet sounds.
Once you know his biggest blunder you can imagine what to expect inside this BH.
Let me list down some interesting observations which I hope those who happened to read this article learn as much as you can.
1) From the outside the BH looks okay. However after some checking with the compass app I told the owner that the BH was wrongly positioned. The monkey house should be on the opposite side of the building. It should be closer to the east which means that it will get the light much faster as compared to putting it on the west side of the building.
2) The main entrance hole was facing the South and not the flying path (returning). The son told me that the birds tends to fly flow the north to the sound. So the main entrance hole should be facing the North.
3) The second entrance hole was facing the west. This is also not right. It should be facing the east. Those birds need the early morning light to guide them out of their nesting rooms. If there is no light they need to wait longer to find their way out and they will find an excuse not to stay too far away from the monkey house area.
4) The LAL "Lubang Antara Lantai" or the window on the floor to pull those birds downstairs were far to the back. It was a total disaster and I told the owner to open new holes and shut the current two holes.
5) The monkey house tunnel was not flushed. The contractor erected a kind of semi floor that block those birds from flying down smoothly. I told the owner to cut them out and let it be flushed.
6) The nesting planks were with a very wide gap with the ceiling. This is a no no to those birds. The air gap will cause air flow during high wind season and those young birds don't like them.
7) There was no external sound inside the nesting room. I recommend at least one or two kite tweeters.
8) The number of internal sound tweeters were too little. I think it was less than 50 pieces and I recommended to increase to at least 150 pieces per floor.
9)There was no fake nests inside the whole BH. I explained with full conviction about the important of fake nests. Try to install about 100 per floor. It should be removed in phases.
10) The BH was with no water pipes inside. If you wanted to avoid having those dry BH syndrome you should be prepared to spray water mist inside your BH. My recommendation was to install at least two set of water pipes for each floor. Use the top floors to operate those mist makers while the ground floor use them to wet the wet floor system.
11) There was no roof to prevent direct sunlight onto the top cement floor/roof of the BH. You can try to imagine how hot the BH was. I took some temperature readings using those portable temperature detecting gun on the walls. Maximum temperature was 33.8*C. This is not right and something have to be done to cut down a few degrees. What about the heat from the roof?
12) The internal sounds were totally wrong.
13) The external sound tweeters were not well install to pull more birds into those nesting rooms.
14) There were two partitions on each floor but no VIP room concept.
Looking at the above shortages I think we need to do so major revamp on this BH.
I hope to get a full report out to the owner and let him decide what to do next.
If you are keen to join my team to revamp this BH please call 017 7551318.
Let us have some fun.
at May 15, 2013