Sunday, May 12, 2013
A Visit To A BH In Morib, Selangor !!!
Two days ago received an SOS call from a lady who owned a BH with one solitary nest.
According to her after more than 1.5 years her house seems to attract no new birds inside.
I briefly to her what she can do and let me have a good look at it before I compile the list of things she should do.
She quickly chose the date and I complied to her request.
We met somewhere near Morib mosque and I followed her can to where ever the BH was.
After about 10 minutes we were at the location.
I took a brief look around the BH and noticed that the two story building was a bit too low sandwiched in between those palm oil trees.
Inside my heart I told myself that no matter what the owner do inside the birds will not be able to locate the BH once those palm oil trees grow taller than the BH.
Those leaves and branches will cover the whole place and it will be a very tough to lure birds into it.
This is why if you wanted to build a BH inside a palm oil plantation the design must be proper.
The most important is the height and more important is to have more open space between those palm oil trees and the BH walls.
I went inside and there was nothing that can make me surprised. Every thing that you can think of why those birds refuse to stays were shown all over the place.
1) The monkey house area was a disaster. The person who was given the task to erect this BH seems to have very little knowledge about those delicate birds.
2) The main entrance hole (window of 2' x 2') was facing an unfriendly neighbor and the owner was given no choice but to open a new hole on the rooftop of the monkey house.
3) Using the monkey house extension to open the rooftop is not a wise idea. Monkey house should be equip with side entrance and not top entrance.
4) The owner twister the direction of those tweeters at the 2'x2' window backwards. This was more like pulling the birds from the inside out. Ah ye ye ye .....
5) The windows/doors connecting the monkey house roving areas into the nesting rooms (one upstairs and one n the ground floor) were not properly thought of.
6) Both the top and ground floor nesting rooms were too bright. I keep my point that the darkness must be a 2 feet gap with no vision of your friend's face.
7) I was not very happy with the number of internal sound tweeters inside this BH. I told the owner to increase by 3.2 folds. Now only about 15 per floors and what I wanted was 50 a floor.
8) There was no external sound tweeters inside. I push my idea on the use of kite tweeters and where they should be located.
9) The number of fake nests were also very little. Since they might be tight I recommended the use of styrofoam which will not cost more than 20 sen a piece. Put about 50 pieces per floor.
10) If the can I wanted them to upgrade their external and internal sounds. Tested my marvelous cloud and during my testing there were birds inside.
11) I also wanted them to apply those pheromone. Spray a bit on those fake nests.
Wrote a brief report for them to follow my recommendations and I told them that I will be ready to drop by if they need my final advise before putting the BH back to order.
I feel grateful to have help this retired couple and I hope I can be of help to others too.
If you are facing the same situation please call 017 7551318 for any help.
at May 12, 2013