Search This Blog

Saturday, May 11, 2013

A BH With 1000 (One Thousand) Fake Nests !!!


An interesting article about a newbie who followed my advise.  I think he went over board.

His JV BH was put into operation for about a year ago now the number of nests have passed his expectation.

He started his harvesting work  a day ago but said that most of those nests were erected on those fake nests.

He in fact installed more than 1000 styrofoam fake nests.

That was a bit too many and I asked him who told you to put so many?

His answer was:  I followed your advise in total.

I could not remember the exact number of fake nests I recommended during construction but I told him to take it as a blessing in disguise.

His main concerned was that the nests erected on fake nests tends to be a bit distorted and its base are actually hollow.

This is true but I told him to look into the bright side of the whole thing.

Remember those fake nests are just for you to lure those birds to quickly stay, build their nest and lay their first eggs.

Once that cycle is completed they will become your "permanent tenant".

The key word is Permanent Tenant which means that they will be yours forever until they die.

Once those fake nests have served its purposes you need to remove them in phases.

Good example you can remove all of the fake nests once your BH total birds population passed say 500 or 800.

He agreed to my explanation and he sound very glad that his BH now is doing very well with the nests number increasing every month.

During his first harvesting of 20 nests he did remove a number and he shall do on stages as per my recommendations.

"Pak Harry I really followed you advise and I am glad that all those that you recommended are showing results"

I will continue to pay a short visit to his BH every time I drop by in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah.

It is great so see a friend who started from zero, build his BH on his own and now have many birds staying inside.

What he did was right.  He got someone to guide him before he started the construction.  Followed the advise to the dot.

He continued liaising with him and invite him to inspect his BH once or twice a year.

He continue upgrading his knowledge, add a few new discoveries and change to new sounds once a while.

I told him that the location he chose was risky since the number of birds responded to the call test was very low.

The only strong point was that there was a successful BH nearby.

No comments: