Search This Blog

Friday, July 12, 2013

A Tale Of Two BHs Back To Back !!!

      (Two BHs in a row.  The one at the back is using water spraying on the wall to cool the BH)

While repairing the Kemaman BH I remember asking the owner about the second unit just at the back.

The interesting thing that I happened to watch was the number of birds visiting this BH as compared to the one that I was repairing.

Most of the birds around will fly to the front unit and a few, the left over, will be visiting the BH.

There must be something not right with this replica.

I wondered who was the owner and why they are spraying water on the wall.

The answer was something like this:

"Pak Harry the owners of that BH are some investor who have extra money but have little idea about swiftlet farming. They build it and keep their finger crossed.  If they are lucky they will see some result but if it does not perform they will have an empty BH."  his response.

The BH was erected and put into operation about 6-7 months ago.

Main problem was the gap between the two layer walls.  It was too small and not insulated with any insulator.

The only was out was to install a number of water nozzles spraying water from a nearby lake about 5 times a day.

The walls looks wet all the time but a bit dirty with some kind of growth.

My main questions were:

Does the system works?

What if the pump failed to work?

What if the electrical supply failed?

What if the weather is so hot and the pond dried up?

What kind of monthly electricity bill is the pump consuming?

On the long run will this system works without any distruption?

I don't really have the answer but I think the method used is not a very good choice.

There are so many other better method and one of the method was the use of heat insulation technique which I have recently deployed inside the BH just in front of it.

My next point of concern was about the direction of the main entrance hole.

It was facing the west and I think by now all my blog reader knows the answer what will happen inside.

Those birds if they stayed in will not populate the back area.  They will stay as closed as possible to the main entrance area to get the early morning light.

There was one more thing that I was concerned about.

There was no hexagonal tweeter in front or at the back of the BH.

If you installed a hexagonal tweeter on the roof you will be able to get the attention of more birds to come over.

I guess the owner might want to do something like what I did with the one in front.

We shall see the result and compare which one will out perform the other.

Enjoy some pictures taken while walking around the BH.







No comments: