Sunday, March 30, 2014
A Four Stories BH With Lots Of Space To Spare !!!
One of the six BHs visited was this four stories unit located somewhere between Paka and Dungun.
The owner was an old friend who happened to join the visit to the various BHs in Dungun recently.
"Pak Harry I would like you to visit my BH and advise what is wrong with it?" his request.
I told him that there is nothing wrong to see his BH and after the tour I told him the followings:
1) His BH is simply too big and there are lots of space to let.
2) His floor size is about 40 feet wide by 80 feet long. If 80% is occupied in full he will be having about 64 kilograms of raw nests per floor.
3) He should not waste too much efforts in populating the whole four floors but focus on at least one floor or the most two floors.
4) Shut the other two floors and work on the top two floors.
5) What about the lay out? I told him that after the tour I find it very confusing and too many partition walls. He should make it simpler and less walls.
6) He painted nearly all his internal walls with black paint. This is not the right thing to do. My advise is to paint those walls that are causing those bright sunlight from entering too much but remember those swiftlet need the morning light to guide them out of the BH. Which mean that you need to allow some light to enter your BH.
7) The flying path from the main entrance hole to the furthest part of the nesting room was a bit too difficult and a few sharp turns. He need to re look into those poorly located doors or perhaps re orientate some of his BH partitions.
8) He uses nearly all kind of BH aromas. The H1N1, the black portion, love portion, the super pheromone and etc. I am of the opinion that he should focus on one not all in one go. Try to concentrate on the one that will give result and expand them to further populate the BH. If you continue to test so many one day those birds will simply fly away.
I hope he will be able to continue looking after his BH and maybe one way those birds will multiply and populate all the floors.