Search This Blog

Monday, March 24, 2014

How Big A Fake Nest Have You Ever Encountered?

(A Styrofoam Fake nest that is too big)


In my entire history in swiftlet farming I have never came across a fake nest as big as a clay brick.

Not exactly the size of a full brick but half of it.

I think we need to think carefully what size a Styrofoam fake nest should be.

My recommendation is  five inches long, one inch thick and one inch wide is good enough.

I was carrying out a BH inspection yesterday at Lukut, N9.

During my investigation I saw this huge chunk of Styrofoam half brick size stuck to the nesting planks.

There were not many about 5-6 pieces.

I asked the BH owner who gave him the idea?

It came from some good friend.

I shook my head and told him that while I encourage the installation of fake nests I disagree with his selection of size.

The interesting observation was that one or two of the six do show some bird shit spots below them.

During the coffee break at a nearby coffee shop I highlighted to him the exact scenario why fake nests are important in a new BH.

My explanations to him about fake nests are as follows:

1) Fake nests are a crucial part of any BH especially during the early stage of a BH.

2) It served as a lure to encourage those young couples to quickly start their nest building experiences.

3) A proper shape is important to help them to start the nest building.  If must not be too small or too big.  In his case it was just too big.

4) Fake nests should be used for a short time or on a temporary basis. It must be removed once those young couple used the fake nests for two cycle.

5) Try to focus the installation mainly inside the VIP rooms.

6) The fake nests can be more effective if they are installed closed to where those internal sound tweeters are installed.  One on the left and one on its right.

7) The number of fake nests to be installed is up to the BH owners.  I prescribe at least one for each internal sound tweeter.  Two will be okay.

8) The best fake nest size is 5"x1"x1".  You can buy a one inch thick Styrofoam at any stationary shop and cut them into the size mentioned.

9) You need to use two 1.25" screw to encore them onto the nesting planks.

10) Usually from my observation the number of these fake nests being occupied is around 10-15%.

11) If you wish to increase the occupancy rate of the fake nests I told him to spray or apply those super pheromone liquid.

12)  You might also want to install a 90* shape fake nests made of Styrofoam.  Cut the styrofoam into a square shape piece 2"x2" and cut them diagonally.

13) The 90* shape fake nests is good to be inserted at those wood crossings.

14) Do the same installation using two screws and once done spray with super pheromone.

Remember you need to use them on a temporary basis to lure those young couples to start their first nest.

Also remember that the moment they laid their first egg inside your BH they will be your tenant forever or until they die.

You need to remove them on stages.  The best is to take the fake nest out together with the nest on it once the couple used the nest twice or two breeding cycles.

These fake nests with real nest on it can be recycled by moving them to a new location.

For this case try to move the fake nest away from the area where it was taken out.

Move them to another floor or another BH.

Try to use this idea yourself and just prove me wrong.

Call me at 017 7551318017 7551318 for any extra information.

You can also write to me using my email harryswiftlet@yahoo.com


(Use this picture to imagine its size.  The square tweeter is 3"x3")





No comments: