Search This Blog

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Conducting Swiftlet Farming Site Inspection In Mersing and Cini !!!



A couple of months ago I received a call from someone I have never met.

He wanted to meet me for a small chat about swiftlet farming investment.

Well with nothing to loose attitude I accepted his invitation and met for about one hour over a cup of coffee.

After that there was no news about the things he told me.

I remembered about his company being approached by a big palm oil estate owner who wanted some help in erecting a couple of units of swiftlet houses in Sandakan.

Well a few days ago someone from his company called and wanted me to meet him for a possible site inspection.

I again with my nothing to loose attitude met him and answered all his questions on swiftlet farming.

This meeting was more like wanting to really know me especially my knowledge and experiences in swiftlet farming.

It went pretty well and I managed to convince him about what should be done before starting a BH.

We parted but before that he promised to let me know about the outcome of his board meeting.

Yesterday he called and informed me about an email he send a few minute earlier.

I told him that I would be happy to reply but my PC was out of operation.

Managed to get my PC back and replied to him that I will be very happy to accept his offer to conduct site inspections at Mersing and Cini both in Pahang.

The job he wanted me to carry out is to check the suitability of two pieces of land that were earmarked for swiftlet farming.

I remember telling him that before he erect a BH it would be very important to conduct the study.

First of all he need to check how many birds respond to a bird call test.  This sound test use a gadget playing a sound which I called "Duress".

The second important issue will be where they fly to in the evening.  I term this as their flying path.

The third important thing to check will be on the morning sun direction.  If the sun direction is the same as the flying path it will be a perfect match.

The fourth important issue is the location of any water sources for example lakes, ponds, rivers, sea or fish or prawn farms.  If there is none, it might be good to allocate some land to dig them.

The next issue, the fifth in my list, is where are the nearest successful BHs. Where are they located, how many and how many birds are staying inside.  These successful BHs will be the young birds generators.

The sixth issue will be the access road to the location.  If there is no proper road, the owner will need to invest lot of money to get them ready to allow those heavy lorries to deliver building materials.

The seventh issue will be the power supply.  To run a BH effectively you need electricity to power the amplifiers.  If there is no power lines the owner have to opt for electrical panel using the sun.

The eight consideration shall be the condition of the land.  Will it need lots of piling works to support the whole building.  If the land is swampy it will be costly to pile it.

The ninth consideration will be possible attack by predators and burglars.   Are there any possibility of owl colony around the areas. 

The tenth issue will be something about prone to flood.  If the location have a history of being flooded year in and year out, it might not be wise to erect a BH.  If the owner insisted the BH design need to be with appropriate flood proof features.

The eleventh point have something to do with the distance from a residential home.  My main concern will be who will be looking after the BH.  Who will alert the owner when the sound system is not working?

There are lots of things to be looked into if you really wanted to start your BH.

For the two site inspection the owner wanted a kind of BH sketch which I think is suitable for his next phase of operation.

I am looking forward to the site inspection and I am sure each location will have its pros and cons.

You are welcome to join the fun.

Call me at 017 7551318 for more details.



No comments: