Search This Blog

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Somewhere Along The Road From Lukut to Sepang !!!



Another interesting BH with so many flaws that makes the owner confused on why those birds refuse to populate after almost three years into operation.

The owner got my contact via my blog and called me for an investigation.

I happened to be free so I make the one hour trip from Kuala Lumpur.

Met him at a Petrol station in Lukut town and followed him to the BH location.

The BH from outside looks okay however something was not right with the monkey house location.

The monkey house was not at the end of the building but a bit towards the middle.

During my external survey I voiced my displeasure with the monkey house construction.

I sincerely told him that I don't like the position of the monkey house since it will effect the lighting and will waste a lot of precious nesting space.

The first floor visited was the ground and then the middle , the top floor and later the rooftop areas.

My summary of this BH are as follows:

a) There were a number of flaws that should have been avoided.  The first is the location of the monkey house.  I was correct about the waste of precious space.

b) The next weird thing found inside was the LAL (the connecting hole between the middle floor and the ground floor) positioning.  It was wrongly located.

c) The floor that hold the largest number of bird shit spots was the middle. I recommended to the owner to focus on this floor.

d) He did a small wall to block those bright light but it was still too bright inside.

e) One very common mistake was the way those internal sound tweeters were installed.  They were too closed to the ceiling and giving very little advantages to those swiftlet.

g) The BH owner install a few fake nests but his fake nest was too big, 4"x3"x3".

h) The internal sound used was a modified babyking sound.

i) His external sound was not the one that I would like to continue using.

j) The monkey house was with two entrance hole one facing the West and the second was the South.

k) The hexagonal tweeter was not at the right location.

l) Both internal and external sound amplifiers were in a set of two amplifiers.  He got them running and change every 15 minutes or so.  I told him that every time his amplifier changes there will be a gap of missing sound.

m) He uses two water ponds plus two chicken coop humidifiers for his humidity control.

After about 40 minutes of looking around I summarized everything in a 10 pages report.

I think if he follow all the things I recommended the BH should be okay.

Let see if he needed my workers to fix to my specifications.






No comments: