Search This Blog

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Birdcall Test In Felda Cini: Very Strange Results !!!



I nearly wanted to tell a Dato who arranged for my service to forget about Felda Cini BH erection.

Main reason being the Duress sound played brings only two birds (swiftlet).

A very strange and weird experience but the next day in the morning the number of birds responding was more than 260.

This happened on the evening of March 19th 2014.

The moment we arrived at site we sat down with a few officers running the operation of a Sentuhan Kasih agricultural complex.

The person in charge posted a number of very intelligent question about swiftlet farming and I answered all of them to the best of my knowledge.

I was later informed that this particular guy was working with a swiftlet farming project in Sedili.

He used to be the project manager but left after the project faced a number of big problems.

After checking in into a resort we drove back to the identified location as runs the Duress sound.

Keep hoping for something to happen however after more than 30 minutes only two came to look see the gadget.

I was very disappointed  and in my mind I think there is something not right.

We are in the middle of a huge palm oil plantation and yet only 2 swiftlet?

(One of the two swiftlet responded during the evening test)


There are many possible reasons to explain why but I told the executive that the morning test will be much batter.

I explained to the executive that those birds are now at some areas where there are water like pond, lakes or rivers.

Tasik Cini was about 15 kilometers away and I think most of these birds are there now.

The following morning we woke up early and arrived closed to the test area.

When we were about to pass a small pond about 500 meters from the tested location, I told the driver to stop.

Look at the number of swallows mainly martin flying above the water surface.

Why don't we conduct our test here?

He found a suitable place to park the 4 wheel drive and I took the test gadget out.

The moment the sound was played there were at least 50 birds.

The number grew until we have almost 260 swiftlet above us.






They continue circling above the test gadget but more often flew high above it.

After about 30 minutes I stop the sound and we head home.

The test was okay it the number of swiftlet responded was above the minimum number chosen.

I felt relieved and the outcome was a positive one.

Hope the good news reach the Dato soon.

Will submit an official report and hopefully will recommend that proper size BH plus all the gadgets to be installed inside.

Call me if you wish to let me conduct a bird call test at your piece of land.
(Where the van was parked)

(This small lake on the left)

(this one on the right)







No comments: