Today Tuesday February 25th 2014, I was invited to carry out inspection of the above BH located along a road to Pantai Remis, Kapar, Kuala Selangor.
Before proceeding to carry out the inspection I queried the owner what was wrong with his BH.
The answer is very simple.
His BH after more than one year into operation the nests numbers are not moving that fast.
Currently about 65 nests mainly on the middle floor.
There was no history of owl attack or burglary.
We proceeded to the BH and upon arrival I was quite pleased with the building.
Three stories about 40feet wide and 80 feet long. Each floor was about 9 feet high.
Quite a resonable number of ventilation holes and the entrance hole used was a monkey house.
Main entrance hole was at the corner of the wall half facing south and the other half facing the east.
The monkey house area was about 40 feet wide by 20 feet.
The LAL holes were at one side of the building with staircase included.
The following observations were recorded:
1) The data room was quite sizable with four amplifiers. Three running the internal sound and one external sound.
2) The setting for treble knob was at 12:00 noon, mid at 12:00 noon and bass at 7:00 am.
3) The monkey house was without any hexagonal tweeter.
4) There were two tweeters on each side of the main entrance window frame. The two were of different shape and probably from different manufacturer.
5) The top part of the entrance window were shut about 2 feet from the top.
6) The lower part of the main window ended like a triangular shape hole.
7) There were electrical wires on the lower part of the window frame.
8) The ground floor was with the least number of nests.
9) The ground floor was dark but not enough.
10) There was no external sound at the furthest part of the wall from the staircase.
11) The internal sound on the ground floor was not operational.
12) The number of internal sound tweeters were about 100 plus.
13) Only one humidifier was used on the floor.
14) The middle floor shows the largest number of bird shit spots indicating that the birds prefer to stay on this floor.
15) Most of the nests were precisely above the internal sound playing tweeters.
16) There was no external sound playing tweeters inside the nesting room areas.
17) There was no room and the whole floor uses the open concept.
18) The number of internal sound tweeters were about 100.
19) The top most floor shows about 20 bird shit spots and all were at the end of the floor.
20) No room found on the floor.
21) The nesting planks used were the Meranti wood arranged about 2 feet apart and with wood crossings about 5 feet apart.
22) Many of these planks looks never been cleaned before. Lots of white markings and some with light weight fungus growth.
23) The two floors were with two chicken coop humidifiers placed at the center of the floor. Each were using hager timer on 30 minutes on and 30 minutes off from 8:00am till 22:00 pm.
24) The monkey house was very big about 40 feet by 20 feet and about 20 feet high.
25) There was a water pond about 20 feet by 20 feet.
26) Both the top and middle floor were a bit too bright.
My comments and recommendations will be in the next article.