Monday, November 4, 2013
Something Unusual But My Guess Was Right !!!
Have you ever heard of any stories where a BH owner who harvested all his BH nests and after that all his birds refuse to return home?
To me this story was the most unusual and never come across in my entire life in swiftlet farming.
Let see if we can learn from this weird even.
I was busy online when my buddy from Ho Chin Min City message to me a short sentence.
"Pak Harry have you ever harvested those nests but the birds went away after that?" his first query.
My answer to him "No never".
Usually those birds will return but not all will rebuilt their nest at the same spot.
Some might built at another spot but usually they will at the same old spot.
"My customer havested about 130 nests but almost all refuse to return home" he continued.
I was curious at first and asked him how the owner harvested and does he mean all of them refuse to return home?
"Yes nearly all only a few returns" he confirmed.
Hmm this is not very common and something strike my mind.
I told him that the owner must have done something not right after the harvesting exercise for example spray his BH with something.
This is when I probed the real reason why those birds refuse to return back.
Yes the owner sprayed bird house aroma on the wall about half a meter below the nesting planks just after his harvesting operation.
After spraying, I concluded that the smell of this new aroma (he have never used it before) must have make the birds scared to enter the BH.
Usually any new smell that those birds are not familiar with will make them to believe that there is a new colony of swiftlet that have just entered the BH.
Just imagine "When I left this morning the smell of the entire house was okay but now the smell is very strong inside!"
Once this though is in their brain they will refuse to enter since there will be a big fear that they will be a big fight and one party will loose.
The battle if happened will be something like fight until you die. The looser will be dead on the floor of your BH.
I then predicted two names of the possible aromas and I was right on the dot.
This same aroma causes the same effect inside one of my friend BH about four years ago.
He purchased the aroma with my recommendation but he applied the aroma on all his planks and walls at one go.
Very greedy and silly.
The same reaction happened when not a single birds wanted to enter the BH in the evening.
At that time no one told me about the effects of aromas.
He was so upset and until today he blamed me for the mishap.
The sad thing is that we became like enemy and I lost a good friend.
(He is still my friend no matter what he wanted to say about me).
He should have applied the aroma in phases and not one shot.
The strange even in a small town in the middle of Vietnam called Quang Ngai is another good example.
My frank advise to all BH owner about the use of aroma inside your BH are as follows:
1) Be careful when you choose your BH aroma. This applies to wall aroma and planks aromas.
2) One very important thing for you to carry out before applying the aroma is to go on stages and not one shot.
3) Apply in a small quantity and observe their reaction of those birds especially when they return home in the everning.
4) If those birds have no problem in entering the BH you now need to see if they enter the room that was applied with the aroma.
5) If there are no fresh birdshit in this room you know that they don't like the aroma applied.
6) If there are lots of fresh bird shit spots on the floor you now know that they love the aroma.
7) Even if they like the aroma you still should not apply the same aroma at one time. Go still on stages.
8) Let those birds feel save and secured. Allow them to sink into the smell and will not be scared as if there is a new colony of birds inside your BH.
9) Once the BH is stabilized and you are very sure that those birds will not be scared you might want to apply the same aroma in a larger scale.
The key point here is that not all aroma are suitable for all BHs.
You need to be careful when you choose one.
If you have selected one try not to apply in large scale but go in phases.
Choose the location to be applied and use it as your test.
Once applied you make sure they accept is.
After you are dead sure that they love the aroma then go for a larger scale.
If you are not sure please call 017 7551318.
P/S: I have not intention of bad mouthing any body's product but what I wanted to share is the right way on how to apply aroma. It applies to my favorite Super Pheromone & Mutiara too.