Search This Blog

Monday, April 27, 2009

Nearly Conned By A Frankter On The Phone !!!

"Mr Harry, I am from Citibank credit card division. I understand that you are no longer using your card for any transaction but only to pay your AIA insurance."

I received this call yesterday and he was so convincing. He seem to know every transaction that I did with my credit card for the last three months.

After smooth talking to me he then asked for the three numbers at the back of my card.

I told him sorry I do not carry my card at the same time let me drop by the bank to process whatever is necessary.

"Okay in that case I will call you back tomorrow once you have completed the arrangement."

He was still cool until the last moment.

He sound Chinese and the call originated from 03.

This morning saw this message from one of my credit card:


Beware of Fraudulent SMS and Telephone call Requesting for your Banking and Credit card Information.

We would like to alert all Card members to be vigilant when receiving any SMS or Telephone calls claiming to originate from Bank Negara or any other financial institutions. Based on recent complains received by Bank Negara there have been an increase in incident of fraudsters sending SMS and making calls to unknowing member of the public asking for details of bank or credit cards information with the aim of siphoning monies from one's account.


To all my blog readers please be aware of the scam and make sure you do not entertain these culprits. Tell them that you will contact the bank directly and not through the phone.

I was nearly cheated and I hope all my friends will not be an easy prey to these fraudsters.
Frankly I no longer use my credit cards any longer. What I have decided is to cut all of them and switched to what I call debit card.
I open a saving account with AlRahji bank and deposit about 1,500 ringgit. They issued a visa card and I used my own money during any transaction.
This is the best way to control my spending and at the same time avoid to hefty interest charged by those financial institutions. They cut your throat.
If you wish to know more please write to me for more detail explanations.

No comments: