Search This Blog

Thursday, April 23, 2009

What If After Revamp Works I Got 120 Nests Within 7 Months !!!


A blog reader from Pekan, Pahang called and asked this question:

"Pak Harry my birdhouse was not doing very well in the first 12 months of operation with only 20 nests. Then I decided to revamp the house about 7 months ago. Now my BH have a total of 140 nests. Is my house doing well?"

Based on the little things that he spoke to me, I told him to be grateful with the outcome. The first 12 months was bad especially when the house was in Pekan. I know Pekan is one of my favourite hot spots.

However the interesting accumulation of 120 nests within 7 months was where he should looked into.

I told him: Ask yourself what were the changes that took place after the revamp works? Is it the Temperature, the Humidity, the brightness, the flying path or the sound system? There must be something that suddenly pull that many birds within 7 months !!!

Take a piece of paper and pinpoint those changes and try your best to maintain the micro habitats that happened immediately after the revamping works, I said.

Just imagine if the nest number keep increasing with 120 every 7 months, he will take less then 1 year more to achieve the 300 nests required for a stable BH.

Note: To me once you have 300 nests, you can change your method of getting birds into your BH. You have adequate internally generated young birds that can easily populate your BH.

The lesson from this article is that if you did something to that effect that the nest population suddenly surged to more then 120 new nests within that short months of 7, there must be something good that you did. Identify those changes and maintain it for as long as you can.

In this way you will be able to populate your BH faster then your neighbors.

No comments: