Search This Blog

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Two Is Better The One !!!

Today I forced myself up early just to meet a young man in Sekinchan, Selangor. I drove 2 hours up and after about 1.5 hours meeting I took 2 hours to be back in KL.

His came back from Klang just to introduce me to his father who have been thinking of having a BH on his rice field.

It seem that the father have been doing lots of research on swiftlet farming and due to his lack of proper guidance he is heading to the normal way of doing a BH.

His so call advisor have convinced him to built a 3 1/2 stories about 34' by 80' at a staggering cost of 350,000 all inclusive.

His young son have been reading my blog and it seem that he was worried that his dad might make a big mistake. He called me to make his dad understood what is the best way to own a BH.

Well since I happened to meet his dad I tried my best to tell old man to reconsider to use the same amount to built one first at about rm160,000 and later perhaps built one more on a new piece of land.

The best option I told him was to expand the 1st unit once there are positive growth in the nests population.

Why should you built a gigantic BH at double the price just because he saw others with such a massive buildings around?

In the beginning he was adamant on the idea and think that I was telling him to do the wrong thing but after some tabulations of figures he later saw the logic why I keep pushing him to go with a small one and later expand from there on.

I first stop at his humble single story house and we talk about the things that he needed to know.
What I know was that he is a down to earth person who received no education, cannot speak or read English, been a rice farmer, owned a 3.5 acres of rice field, raised three kids and wanted very much to have a BH.

After lengthy discussion he took me to the rice field and asked where to begin.

I was looking at those many BHs around his plot of land. There were nothing less then 10 units of 4 to 5 stories BHs.

Hmm .... that was why he was very firm in wanting the same size and the same height.

I begin my question about how many birds that he have seen flying above his plot of land.

"Harry, a lot."

How Many?

"A few hundreds."

Hmm ..... a few hundred is not good enough. I wished he could have said a few 100 thousands.

Uncle P, a few hundred is not good enough. If there were a few thousands then I will support your idea. It is a very high risk to built a massive building when there are only a few thousands.

If I were you go for something smaller. I propose a 2 1/2 stories with a total cost of around 160K all inclusive. Once this unit show you that the number of nests are moving at a healthy growth per month, then you may want to expand to the left and right hand side.

Why must it be 3 1/2 stories high costing you a whooping 350K?

If you have this small unit you can still keep 190K in your bank.

Uncle P, the unit I proposed can easily generate at least 110 kilograms every four months, if the house is fully occupied. If you multiply with rm 3,000 a kilogram, you will harvest at least Rm 330,000 per cycle. Don't you think that is more then enough?

I just hope all those who happened to read this article use you common sense. Do not be carried away with those promises by your "Consultant" that the only way to be successful in swiftlet farming is to go big and tall.

You should look at the most optimum size with the lowest investment cost.

Once the first unit show a positive nests growth, then you move towards the next level.

I am sure this advise is something that is proper and allow you minimise your entry level.

Keep learning and once you are full of knowledge then grow with those knowledge.

Do not be carried away with those false promises which are untrue ....

If you need more information just call me at 017 755 1318.

No comments: