Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

How Many Pieces Of Feathers Do Swiftlet Have On Their Wings and Tail?



I met this special person who love to rear Burung Murai (Magpai).

The first question he posted to me when I first met him was: "How Many Feathers Do Swiftlet Have on their wings and tail".

I was taken back by such a question and promised myself that the first thing if I should lay my hand on any young swiftlet will be to count their feathers.

Last weekend I manage to get hold one of those young birds that was found in my BH.

I gently took the bird and started to count it's wings feathers and tail feathers.

Yes I finally got the answer:

1) There were 17 feathers for each left and right wing.

2) There were 10 feathers on their tail.

I hope this special Murai enthusiast will read this article. I wanted to thank him for teaching me to be more observant. I finally got him the answers he wanted.


3 comments:

Ben Gan said...

Harry,
Thanks for the answer. 17 on each side of the wings and ten on the tail. Are all of them the same? Here's another question. Why do swiftlets fly out of their BH as early as 5 in the morning? I know they have to go out for food. The question is: Why do early? Is it because they find the BH uncomfortable?
Thanks again.

K L said...

If it is not the alarm clock ringing, it must be the 1st sun ray shining into the BH.

Pak Harry The Swiftlet Anthusiast !!! said...

Ben,

Pak Hen told us that swiftlet do love the Muslim Prayer's call. The first call comes somewhere around 5 am.

Who know these birds are muslim? I am joking.

Well so far I have yet to visit my BH early in the morning. I am a late night sleeper and I wake up by 7:30am.

If any other readers have some answer please reply to Ben.