Search This Blog

Monday, July 21, 2008

My Visit To Pontinak: A Summary !!!


The more you travel the more new things you see and learned.

This was what happened during my five days trip to Pontianak Indonesia.

The seminar on "Strategi Jitu Mengikat" went well with more then 67 attendees from all over Indonesia, Brunei and Malaysia. I was surprised that there were at least 15 Malaysians among the 67. Two from Brunei and I came to know that they found the seminar from my blog.

The seminar content was very much similar with the one I attended in Pulau Kapas except that there were a few new pictures, video clips and articles that were interesting to view and learned.

The one that attract me most was a picture showing the use of wall nesting planks that are shit protected by using a thin strip of aluminum shade. The whole idea is when your BH is totally full U can actually install this wall mounted nesting planks that can increase your nesting areas by more then 30%.

Pak Hen introduced a very interesting idea about embedding the sound of water stream into your internal bird sound. This is something unusual and his idea was that those birds will feel peaceful and at the same time it depict the cave sound.

One more interesting Tip was about the use of those hospital drips as your aroma application gadget in your BH. Hmmm very interesting and these is one of the gem when your wife is a chief nurse.

I visited a place that was classified as "Walet Sentral" located about 1 1/2 hour drive from Pontianak main town. The Location was Sungai Pinyu. There were a cluster of BHs at one spot. Each seem to doing well but during my stay there were only a few that were seen flying around.

I also was given an opportunity to visit a DIY birdhouse build by The Chandra Family. Located about 45 minutes drive from Pontianak town at a place called Jungkat Beach. The building was done by minimum consultation and yet within just 6 months the number of bird nests was as high as 60 pieces. Unbelievable but it was true.

One of the Chandra junior was with us for the next few hours and he claimed that the success rate of any BH built in Pontinak is more then 90%. Just compare with us in Malaysia where the success rate is just about 20-30%.

This young man, who used to hate BH, now become the man to watch. He now planned to develop his father's piece of land located just facing a Muara (river flowing into the sea) to be as good or better then the "Sungai Pinyu Swiftlet Central". It shall be more systematic and well planned so that the birds have a 7 Stars hotel treatment. Sungai Pinyu Birdhouse owners, just watch out for this young man.... The best was that I was invited to be a part of the idea. Hmmmm need to carefully consider the offer.....

While waiting for my connecting flight at Jakarta Airport, took a short trip to Eka Walet Toko at Green Ville Street to meet Ibu Ida (the operator) and got from her some onde2 (products) consisting of a few new external birdcall sounds, books, aroma and saw those bird eggs being incubated for their babies. A set of young hatchings were there too......

Overall the trip was a very good experience and the number of people who claimed to read my blog was something I am very proud of. One of them is a SPA owner call "Exiotic" located in Jakarta Angerrek area.... Hmmm might want to scrub my body after a hard day at those BHs. Pak Ben Chai, Pak Victor, Pak Oswald, Pak Yong, Pak Alvin & Partner were all there for their second round.....

The next seminar was indicated to be in Jakarta. Tentative date is December 2008. Just read my blog regularly and I will surely anounce. I will not miss this apportunity for a Million ....


















1 comment:

Victor Gee said...

Harry,

I don't understand why the internal sound want to reassemble cave enviroment? I thought the new swiftlets are born from human made BH, not cave. They do not have idea what is the cave enviroment like.

Gee