Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Ayer Tawar Birdhouse Visit On Tuesday October 4th 2008!!!

On my way back from Kedah to Kuala Lumpur, I make a detour to Setiawan, Perak.

The journey was long and winding. I took the Changkat Jering exit and shoot towards Lumut, Perak.

I was planning to meet Mr.D of Setiawan and before reaching him managed to stop by in Kampung Nenas, Ayer Tawar Perak. One blog reader, Mr.A, wanted me to visit his three stories BH.

The unit was constructed about two years ago and since the location was just below the flight path it was populated very well until it stop at about 200 nests.

He wanted my opinion on what went wrong.

I was very impressed with the location where the BH was built. It was below the flying path and in between the sea and those prawn farm pools.

He opened two entrance holes. The main facing the flying path and the other is facing the pools.

What really went wrong?

From the outside, those large walls were facing the sun's path. Morning on one side and evening the other side. It become like a solar panel absorbing those heat from the sun and eventually heat up the air in the BH.

The temperature, as expected, was 31*C on the ground floor and increased by 1*c on the floors above. Too hot and what about the Humidity?

You might not like to guess. 62%RH.

So there goes the findings:

Temperature at about 1pm was 31*C-33*C and the humidity was 55% to 62%RH.
Recommended BH Temperature is 26*C to 29%C and Humidity 85% to 95% RH.

So I classify the BH as very sicked and need immediate treatment.

Got my pen and papers down and submitted about 7 pages of recommendations. I have emailed to him last night and I hope he was happy with the findings.

In Setiawan Mr.D was ready to take me for late lunch. After the short lunch I was taken to his newly converted BH.

The unit looks nice and cosy but there were a number of errors that I ordered him to take note.

The entrance hole, the fly path into the nesting room, the additional box dividers, the tweeters numbers, their arrangements, maximise the use of those ceiling areas, suggested him to put a colony divider, also a condo shape nesting areas and indicated to him where to place those humidifiers.

What I like most was the use of this special heat insulating materials that he called "Aluminium Bubble Sheet (ABS)" spread that can reduce those sun rays to a maximum of 29*C. The material came from a factory under the brand called "LaFarge". I think this is the same French company who owned a few cement plants in Malaysia.

Mr.D claimed that if you shoot those heat rays to the max on one side of the ABS, the maximum temperature on the opposite site will not exceed 29*C. What a marvellous creation. Remember your BH room temperature requirement? 29*C !!! Hmm sound very familiar.

This is something that we can opt for in shielding our BH. It look like a mat and simple to use. They are not toxic like those fiber glass insulators called rock wool.

You can just sandwich the ABS between the wall and a cement board, will be good enough. I am assuming that Mr.D's claimed is right????

The cost Harry? Oops I forgot to ask. Let me get hold of him today for the answer . (Note the price per square foot is Rm 1 only).

I mentioned to him about Black Cloud and he simply could not resist the temptation to do some checking. He ordered a piece and I promised to post laju to him immediately after I am back in KL.

No comments: