Search This Blog

Monday, August 26, 2013

Be A Bit More Patience to Get Where You Planned To Be !!!



This is a story about a BH owner who was a bit too impatience.

My key advise to him was to stick to our main objective and try not to stop half way.

While visiting Kota Kinabalu I dropped by at a BH whose owner wanted to show me his BH progress.

He sounded to be very very proud with the nests population growth so far and I think his BH can go further with it.

This particular BH was under my care or observation from the first day it was built.

I took a number of trips to see it build and installed with those tweeters and various other gadgets.

One special gadget that I recommended to owner was to installed those fake nests.

He followed my advise and installed more than what I initially suggested.


(Used to have something like this many)

The use of fake nests is actually nothing new.  My main reason being those young couples especially male are pretty lazy to build their first nest.

The fastest way to get a nest ready is to use those fake nests.

My advise to him was to used those fake nests until his BH is occupied by at least 600 birds or 300 couples.

My main objective was to hit around 300 couples which equate to 300 nests.

The 300 nests will be the cut off point where his BH will be able to run on a automatic mode.

Each breeding cycle, about four months, these 300 odd nests will produce about 600 young birds.  Three times a year this will hit 1800 young birds per 12 months.

The word automatic here is when he need no longer depends on other birds from his neighbor's BHs because his own BH now can produce about 1,800 young birds per year.

So when he entered the auto mode he should focus more on how to encourage his own young babies to stay and not to run away to other BHs.

Just imagine if all those 1,800 young birds should return home and bring their partner home.

If all should bring one partner home there will be a total of 1,800 new nests in this BH.

Okay coming back to this BH in Kinarut, Sabah, the owner started to feel that he got a kind of short changed since those nests erected on those fake nests were not in the proper shape and weight lesser than normal.

The number of full nests was about 186 pieces.

This was when he side stepped or forgotten about the main objective which I have stressed to him many many times.

"You should have continued to use those fake nests until your total number of birds staying inside your BH reaches or exceeded 600 birds." I clearly reminded him again and again.

His BH used to have more then 600 fake nests and nearly 50% of them were with those saliva markings.

Now he removed nearly all except a few (see these pictures taken).

Well sometime I cannot blame him for the sudden change of mind but I still believed that what I preaches is the best for his or any BH.

What do you think will happen when he made this wrong decision?

Well if he is lucky he might still get the nest population increase but I think there will be some brake applied.

My prediction is that the growth will be slower as compared to before this event.

I told him not to throw away those removed fake nests at the moment.

"Try to monitor your nests numbers for the next few months.  If you find out that they are getting slower than before you need to reinstate all of them back." I advised him.

When you owned a BH you must not depend on luck but you must used all the right techniques and gadgets to boost your nests population.

If Pak Harry give you his opinions and advises I think you should listen to him carefully.

All in all he cares about you and your BH.

He is a very rare breed of BH consultant.  He usually will give you his best for the sake of our Swiftlet industry.

He shares his experiences, his new gadgets, his new find aroma, his new sounds and etc.

No one on this planet is like him, in this challenging swiftlet farming industry.

Look around you and ask yourself who else can you turn to if you have problems with your BH?























No comments: