Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Pin Pointed The Problem In A BH at Sungai Rambai, Malacca !!!



 (The Verandah at the monkey house)

Today August 17th 2013 I was invited to carry out an inspection on a three stories stand alone BH located at Sungai Rambai Malacca.

The BH was deep in an orchard plus palm oil trees.

The owner wanted to know what was wrong with his 2 years old BH with about 60 nests without any additional nests increasing.

After inspecting the BH external areas I have a good look at the data room.

All looks good however the three Hager timers were not properly synchronized.

After adjusting the knobs on the amplifier I entered the BH.

This were the things that I discovered and one or all might be the reason why this BH have slow nests growth:

1) Too many partitions, zigzag doors and confusing rooms arrangements on all the three floors.

2) Not enough external sound tweeter that will pull those birds inside.

3) Not a single external sound tweeter on the nesting plank on every room.

4) The BH walls and floors seems to be very very dry and the number of humidifiers were not adequate.

5) There was something wrong with the setting of external sound playing time.

Among the fives I like the number 5 problem.

I was walking up the staircase a couple of times during my inspection work.

I noticed something very weird.

The bird shit spots below all the six external sound tweeters placed around the staircase were heavy.

Usually they will not be this heavy.

I called the owner and told him about the matter.

My prediction was that the external sound was never switched off.  It was being played on a 24 hours basis from day one.

He was baffled with my prediction but followed me to the data room to see if I was right.

This was where he became so impressed with my knowledge about swiftlet behaviors.

I was dead right.

The Hager timer teeth were not adjusted to the time required.

It became worse when all the Hager timers were found to be dead.

An usual even and I believed the battery embedded must have been spoil.

This is why you have your BH with birds but little nests, I told him.

If you play the external sound for 24 hours your bird will not make love thus the chances for them build a nest on or around the external sound tweeter is zero.

So those of you who now uses Hager timer please be careful on this type of failure.

I promised to prepare a full fledged report for discussion and once accepted he wanted my personal touches to revamp the BH ASAP.


(My suspicion about the external sound playing for 24 hours by looking at the thick birdshit below an external tweeter was 100% correct.)

 (It was thick as if there was a nest above and around the tweeter.)

 (The moment you looked up there was none since it was an external playing tweeter)



No comments: