Search This Blog

Monday, August 5, 2013

Three BHs With More Than 1000 Nests With Similar Problem !!!


 (A BH with no external sound tweeters. You want to know why?)

This peculiar problem is nothing new to me.

Prior to this incident I was asked to evaluate similar problem however the number of nests were not more than 500 nests.

One was in Muar Johore and the second was in Ayir Putih Perak.

The two owners wanted my views why their BHs nests numbers suddenly stop multiplying.

I gave them some tips and within less than 3 weeks they confirmed getting more birds back into their BHs.

One called to personally say thank you very much while the other I did the inquiry.

The three BHs I wanted to talk about in this article were in Nibong Tebal Penang.

It belong to the same owner.

"Pak Harry when I first started I was very excited to see the number of nests multiplying at a very fast pace.  At one time I got more than 400 nests in a year.  The number seems to drop year after year and now I can even get 20-30 new nests a year. I just don't have any clue what can be the real reason."  he was briefing me during my first meeting face to face.

He was lucky to come forward to ask for my opinion and personal views.

I drove up to Nibong Tebal just for the inspection services he requested.

After just one look inside I pen down my recommendations.

Just try to wet the floor a bit.

All the three BHs were a bit too dry and dusty.

I showed them the cracks on those nests on those nesting planks.

My explanation was more on why those young birds that were hatched and raised in these three BHs refuse to return home after they took their first flight.

If each BH has 1000 nests, the minimum output per season should be about 2000 young birds.  Three seasons in a year there should be at least 6000 young birds.

How come most of them refuse to breed in the same BH where they were hatched and raised?

There must be something wrong which makes these new babies moved to some other BHs around this BH.

My biggest suspicion was on the wetness of the whole bird house.

I explained in detail to the owner and make a list of recommendation which I hope he will follow.

Try to wet the floor by hooks or by crooks.

Try to proof to me that I am wrong, I challenged him.

He have very little choice but to carry out all my recommendations.

All in I wrote about 11 pages of report.

Let us hope that he followed my recommendations.

No comments: